305 heater matrix removal

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2011dandd
My Cars: Peugeot 305

305 heater matrix removal

Post by 2011dandd »

Left it far to late and paying for it. I need to fetch the matrix out and get it repaired.
Any advice on easiest way of removing please let me know
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Re: 30 much your old one 5 heater matrix removal

Post by Oldpug »

May I suggest you talk to Dean Hunter.......http://www.peugeotparts.co.uk/
He may have a matrix in stock and will give you a rundown on the job.I've replaced matrix`s on almost every Peugeot,except a 305.I have a horrible feeling its a big job so it would be wise to fit a new matrix.Normally a matrix is non repairable?
PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Re: 305 heater matrix removal

Post by PC2CV »

Unfortunatley its a dash out job on the 305, the only saving grace is the 305s dash is relativley easy to remove, i did a video when i took mine apart:

Full Playlist

This one has a leaky matrix, but i have asked a company local to me that recores radiators and they seem confident that they can recore the matrix.

Its also worth trying serie04 and leboncoin.fr they can have 305 spares although you may need to use google translate quite a bit but you can stumble across useful 305 spares there.
Last edited by myglaren on 18 Nov 2016, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
puddlethumper
My Cars: Peugeot 305 van

Post by puddlethumper »

I have a 305 van that had a gunged up matrix. I bought one off Dean ( pug parts bloke ) . After thinking I would have to take the dash out I was pleasantly surprised to find that taking the centre console out gave me access to the matrix from the drivers footwell. Disconnect pipework. Two screws hold it and then it slides out. Yeeha!
puddlethumper

Post by puddlethumper »

Further to above. After fitting the one I bought ( keeping the old one ) I found it was a lot better but not as good as I remember. Took the old one to a rad bloke who said sorting it would cost £129+vat. Bloody hell !! Took it home and decided to take a closer look. On inspection it is a two part piece comprising a plastic part, with connection to hot/cold valve and water in/out,and the radiator part. Holding the two together are numerous thin metal clamping lugs. As I had a spare matrix I thought, whathe'ell so I got a small thin flat screwdriver and proceeded to bend them ( carefully ) upward away from the plastic bit. After about an hour I got the two pieces apart. Having a look I could see a rubber seal between the two parts. Elementary you more knowlegable types might say. To which I would reply, not to me guv I aint done nuffing like this before.
Inside are about 12 small pipes going through the rad and back, inside which there are plastic spirals. Not sure exactly why. I'm sure someone will let me know. Pulling them out with a pair of pliers there appeared loads of rust coloured crust. Couldn't get them all out in this manner so filled the rad with drain unblocker stuff and left it for a couple of hours and hey presto all is clear. Before putting it back I though a bit about the spirally bits. All they seemed to do was limit the flow through the rad and therefore help clog it so in my infinite erm er something I decided to leave them out. Popped it back in and what a difference. Just in time for winter and all. Happeee daaayz !!!
2011dandd
My Cars: Peugeot 305

Post by 2011dandd »

Grand thanks for all that puddlethumper
Sounds do-able
Dean does not have anything yet I have found rocking horse s**t on the net but no flipping matrix.
I bought my 305 in May this year knowing the matrix had been bypassed. I'm guessing because of a leak. So my fault it's not been sorted yet.
Am pleased that removing the centre dash works though as I have very little time and really need to get it done pronto.
There may be a few private messages pinging out to those more in the know than me!!
puddlethumper

Post by puddlethumper »

What I man about centre console is the bit from the gearstick to the dash. Couple screws near the bulk head and out more or less. It may have been bypassed coz it didn't work from being clogged up and previous owner didn't get round to getting it out because of thinking dash out job. Conjecture on my part. If you need any more info let me know.
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

2011dandd wrote:Grand thanks for all that puddlethumper
Sounds do-able
Dean does not have anything yet I have found rocking horse s**t on the net but no flipping matrix.
I bought my 305 in May this year knowing the matrix had been bypassed. I'm guessing because of a leak. So my fault it's not been sorted yet.
Am pleased that removing the centre dash works though as I have very little time and really need to get it done pronto.
There may be a few private messages pinging out to those more in the know than me!!
Try these guys for a matrix....
http://www.serie04.com/en/305-305 I`ve used them they are OK,it helps if you have the original Peugeot part number or you can speak French.