Pug 207 - Reconnecting The Battery...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Pug 207 - Reconnecting The Battery...

Post by CitroJim »

Currently, my SORN'd 207 has no battery - It's donated it to my Activa...

The 207 may be without a battery now for a fair while...

When I want to connect another battery how do I go about it? Is there any special procedure?

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Pug 207 - Reconnecting The Battery...

Post by RichardW »

A little...

Put it on, then wait a couple of minutes for the BSI to wake up a bit. Switch the headlights on for a minute or so, before trying to start it. Check everything else is working. More important to let it go to sleep before you take the battery off....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :D I'd not touched it for a few weeks but I'm not sure it went back to sleep after opening the car with the plip and then disconnecting the battery.

How long does the BSI take to nod off again and am I likely to have caused an issue by disconnecting whilst the BSI may still have been awake?

Sorry for all the questions but all this is very new to me...

These modern cars :twisted: Don't have these issues with Xantias....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Most of the instructions also say to perform the procedure without opening any doors and to wait a while after turning the ignition on, before attempting to start the engine.

If the battery was disconnected too soon, you can always repeat the procedure to be safe.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I personally would turn the side lights on, BEFORE, connecting the battery, this way you do not get any unwelcome spikes of 'electricery', the same reason you have you PC connected via a surge protector - oh you don't - brave.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Erm, my PC is connected to a strip block with both surge suppression and an on/off switch. When I am not using the PC the block is switched off. Let us see a hacker overcome THAT defence!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sloppysod wrote:I personally would turn the side lights on, BEFORE, connecting the battery, this way you do not get any unwelcome spikes of 'electricery'
Ahh, so that's the reason for putting the sidelights on then :) I'd been wondering when I saw it in the instructions to reset the BSI.. I always thought it was for some special data signal to go to the BSI but it all makes sense now!
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It will probably be OK from the disconnect - it was probably in eco mode anyway!

I wouldn't put the sidelights on first - they are not direct switched, but by the network from the COM2000 to the BSI to the BSM where the actual power (relay) swtich is! Better to let the BSI boot up first before asking it to do anything. If you put it on Diagbox afterwards you will probably find an error code in the BSI for unexpected reinitialisation, but I don't know how to avoid this!
Richard W
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Is anything direct switched on these vehicles?
If a load needs to be put in place to head off any tendency to spike when a battery is reconnected, then it could be done by simply clipping on a few watts of electrical load (eg a 21W or bigger lamp) before connecting the battery.
Is the system so fragile that it could be damaged by the connection of its battery?
How does it cope when something inductive is switched off?
Chris
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

white exec wrote:Is anything direct switched on these vehicles?
No, I don't think so! The brake lights maybe....
white exec wrote:Is the system so fragile that it could be damaged by the connection of its battery?
Sadly it is.... I rather suspect that it's more to do with taking it off when it's doing something, but it can corrupt the BSI such that it refuses to play anymore - plenty of examples. Jump starting cars with BSI is a bad idea as well....
white exec wrote:How does it cope when something inductive is switched off?
It's alright when it's running, it's just letting it shut down and boot up correctly that's important.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, thanks for the above :) it'll all adding to my understanding of these pesky things...

Like you Chris, I find it shocking and worrying that nothing seems to be directly controlled... Makes me quite uncomfortable to trust it... My past career as an electronics engineer and latterly an IT engineer inspires no confidence in such a system...
Jim

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

You would have thought that at the very least there would be sufficient surge protectors in the system, or even one of those ? 1 Farad battery-capacitors to enable memory and systems to close down decently, should the main battery be disconnected.

If there aren't, that's penny-pinching taken to a dismal level - or else an eye to nice big bills post-warranty.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Car makers are famous for their penny-pinching Chris... That's been the case forever and PSA are no better or worse than any of the others in my experience...
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Something I agree with, it should not be possible to 'corrupt' the BSi with battery disconnection / reconnection. This (to be blunt, in my own opinion) shows a slight lack of care in the design of unit itself :(

The 'wait 2 minutes for it to enter low power state' that's fine however it should be 'saving' all configuration immediately so there should be no wait time.

I'm not immediately aware of how other marque's handle this now they are nearly all fully 'plexed' :)

I don't know why but this kind of reminds me of 'Embedded' Windows vs normal Windows...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It just reminds me of Windows full-stop Andy....
Jim