Citroen Xantia Auto box.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

liddon
My Cars: BX,Xantia,XM

Citroen Xantia Auto box.

Post by liddon »

Hi all,
I have a 96 NON tubo 1.9 Diesel auto Xantia.
The vehicle is sluggish off a standing start in the extreme. I have always assumed that was the nature of the animal.However as long as one allows for this it is workable.
The box is perfect in all respects as regarding changing etc .It is an HP4 .{One with Dip stick )
The take off slippage has got so bad however that on a steep hill I had to reverse to a point that I could get a run at it. On testing it against the hand brake it would not move.
I have changed the Oil and the result has shown a slight improvement / It will now move against the hand brake if not pulled on too hard.
I was wondering if a pot of Lucus wonder goo would help or if I should change the oil again as I only got 2 Ltrs in from a complete drain . According to Haynes there should be 7 or so hiding somewhere.
Comment required.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen Xantia Auto box.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I've moved your Topic from the For Sale / Wanted section to the Citroen Section as it seems you are looking for some help. :-D Can I suggest you post up your VIN, so members can identify exactly the type of gearbox fitted.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Citroen Xantia Auto box.

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It should not be that bad!

Firstly, it's impossible to change all the ATF in one go as a few litres always get trapped in the torque converter.

Change three times in quick succession and make 100% sure you have the correct stuff. use only genuine Dexron II mineral oil ion these and absolutely nothing else. Never use Dexron III or above or any other ATF that claims it's backwardly compatible. They're not and will cause the 'box to malfunction. never use synthetic or semi-synthetic ATFs either... These boxes are fussy...

One good thing about genuine Dexron II is that it's fairly cheap and much cheaper than the fancy synthetic stuff!

Have you cleaned the gauze filter? This is essential when changing ATF.

If three quick changes to genuine Dexron II and a filter clean does not help then you may have a failed sprag clutch in the torque converter.. This will give almost exactly the symptom you are experiencing...

There is a firm in Scotland, Mackies, who overhaul torque converters at a reasonable cost.

let us know how it goes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...