Misfire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DSNL
My Cars: Citroen C5 2011 1.6Thp
VW UP
DR600

Misfire

Post by DSNL »

Hi all
After some help from the collective here.
My 2011 C5 1.6Thp suddenly developed a miss on the way home and told me to see a mechanic. However, it now seems to run fine again.
Is there a quick way to turn off the EOBD lamp without going to the garage or buying a tool as it is making the cooling fan run all the time which is really annoying.
Now after owning a Scenic and often replacing the coils I am wondering if this is the same problem. Do they suffer the same as the earlier French stuff?

Also I am looking for a diagnostic tool.
Any recommendations? Been looking quickly at the Foxwell NT200.

Any opinions would be welcomed.
All information in my posts are worth exactly what you pay for them.
Regards
Craig
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Misfire

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Firstly, no you can't turn the lamp off as it is there as a warning that something isn't right. Usually the engine management warning will come on with another lamp or error message. Sometimes the fault will clear itself, otherwise a Lexia will be able to help troubleshoot problems.

Next, PSA cars really need Diagbox which contains Lexia software for Citroen and Peugeot Planet 2000 for Peugeot. Other third party OBD readers may only allow some codes to be read and will not likely be able to talk to all the ECUs. Personally I would recommend Easydiagnostics.com for a Lexia Kit if you are serious about purchasing a diagnostic system for your Citroen.

I would go replacing anything until you have had it on a Lexia which will help identify the problem. Anything else would be speculation at this point Craig.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Before you do buy a generic reader, you need to be aware that PSA architecture does not work in a standard fashion, so most generic readers will not work. If you are planning on doing a lot of maintenance work on the car yourself you should get a Lexia clone (and I have an Easy Diagnostics version, which works well; Easy Diagnostics also have a good customer support desk), otherwise you could see if any forum member lives near to you with a Lexia, and who is willing to help out.

Here is a link to the members with Lexia kit;

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=29178
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

The OP lives in the Netherlands, so the nearest member is going to be a fair distance away i'd imagine
DSNL
VW UP
DR600

Post by DSNL »

Thanks for the replies lads.
Marc, I understand the fact I need to get it fixed but I was hoping for quick reset now the problem seems to have gone. I was a senior tech at Ford for 16yrs so I know there can sometimes be shortcuts.
I had seen the Lexia. I see on EasyDiagnostics site that there are more options. Full chip, service box. What is needed?
Regards
Craig
Bick

Post by Bick »

On the advise of Jim from Easy Diagnostics i purchased the Autocom kit it will do almost everything you need to do on the french stuff and will aso work on all other manufacturers. You can read all live data and i have used it on many different manufacturers including the japanese stuff, although they are a little more expensive than a Lexia clone.
DSNL
VW UP
DR600

Post by DSNL »

Paul, Yes, a bit of a trek I feel but I see there one in Sweeden might be the easiest option. ha ha ha
Shame though as I see there is someone with a system in Colchester where I used to live.
Regards
Craig
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

DSNL wrote:Thanks for the replies lads.
Marc, I understand the fact I need to get it fixed but I was hoping for quick reset now the problem seems to have gone. I was a senior tech at Ford for 16yrs so I know there can sometimes be shortcuts.
I had seen the Lexia. I see on EasyDiagnostics site that there are more options. Full chip, service box. What is needed?
No shortcuts here I'm afraid Craig :-D For your car you just need the main kit here:

http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/shop/4 ... p/10897719

The others contain an add-on module for some of the vehicles that were jointly developed with FIAT and some of the commercial vans and is the S.1279 - you won't need this for the C5 X7. As for Service Box, that is the off-line version of the technical diagrams and parts list for Citroen vehicles up to 2013 - it is all online now. There are members here who have access to the parts and diagrams you may need in future if you don't want to buy that - it isn't necessary for the diagnostics at all.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DSNL
VW UP
DR600

Post by DSNL »

Well I have bought the kit. Thanks for the recommendations but I still needed to get the codes cleared as it keeps leaving the cooling fan on and draining the battery so I did a terrible thing and I apologise now for it...............I called the ANWB (our version of the AA).
The nice man came out and cleared the codes and told me it was No3 coil. So I will get that today and await for my new diagnostic tool to arrive in a few days.
My question now is are the cylinders numbered normally on this engine or is No1 by the gearbox?
Regards
Craig
WidowmakerUK
My Cars: Citroen c5 hpi exclusive estate
Petrol 2Liter manual

2003 low mileage

Colour red

Post by WidowmakerUK »

The one closest to the gearbox is number 4 and the one closest to the cam belt is number one.
I might be wrong but I think they are 1 2 3 4 not like the older cars where you needed a firing order, but I could be wrong.
My c5 hpi had a miss fire and it said number one when I removed the gold plated coil pack it had arked down the rubber plug cap on the plug nearest the cam belt, some thinners on a cloth cleaned it up nicely when it was put back it worked fine engine light went out on its own after a short run up the road.
It might be worth the time before you buy a coil to remove the plug and check for tracking on the plug some times they get dam in there and once they have arked they leave a cabon track on the rubber cap and plug. There has been cases of this where the coil was not at fault.