Xantia fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Xantia fluid leak

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi All
I am leaking lhm fluid from my Mk 1 I thought it might be a pipe but it is very wet on the top of the reservoir, I have cleaned it a couple of times but after a run it is wet again, could it be the filters blocked?
Many thanks
Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Re: Xantia fluid leak

Post by electronmirror »

It's unlikely to be blocked filters but if you've not checked them they are worth cleaning because they can accumulate a lot of crud from the system.

LHM collecting on top of the reservoir is more likely to be that big seal or the retaining clip not seating properly. The seal does harden with age, my Mk2 is suffering with exactly the same problem. 'Hydraulic block Seal' as Citroen describe it is on order from the local dealer, cost approx £9.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Thanks Ted I'll check that out
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ted, you're bang-on. My Activa suffers the same problem, which I live with but Gabriel is as dry as a bone...

I have noted they are often fine until disturbed...

Pro-tem, until sorted, just run with slightly lower levels of LHM in the reservoir. I run my Activa at just below the bottom ring on the sight-glass.

Don't use sealants on the joint and especially not any kind of silicone - LHM eats it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

listening to what you say Jim I think I have a leak elsewhere as well as I'm using a far bit of fluid :(
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote: Don't use sealants on the joint and especially not any kind of silicone - LHM eats it!
I have found that Loctite 5910 (as used by Citroen for V6 sump gaskets) works well in this role, I have had success with a couple of Xantias.

Clean the surfaces with a solvent so that they are oil free, Only apply a thin layer of sealant to the underside of the rubber seal (that presses against the tank body), none between the seal and tank lid.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, that's very useful to know. I have a fair quantity of that :D Also found it works well on lavatory cisterns too...

Stephen, if the leak is in that general area check the Anti-Sink valve under the LHM reservoir and the two rubber pipes that return LHM from the front struts - they terminate under the reservoir...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

BL Auto's told me the LHM tank leaks because it goes concave over time.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:BL Auto's told me the LHM tank leaks because it goes concave over time.....
I reckon there's a lot of truth in that Alasdair...
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

CitroJim wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:BL Auto's told me the LHM tank leaks because it goes concave over time.....
I reckon there's a lot of truth in that Alasdair...
That is why glueing the seal to the tank (so that the seal follows the concavity*) stops it leaking.

*I thought that this was a good time to invent a new word. :wink:
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

I like the idea of concavity. It's what my tummy does on a good day.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote:I like the idea of concavity. It's what my tummy does on a good day.
:rofl2: :rofl2:
Jim

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Jim, I have a horrible feeling you are right about the Anti-Sink valve under the LHM reservoir or the rubber pipes that return LHM from the front struts - that terminate under the reservoir.
You have obviously done this before and I would be grateful for some pointers as there is quite a bit lhm fluid on the ground
How do I approach this, do I need to remove the reservoir totally? is the anti-sink valve part of it?
sorry so many questions.
Many thanks for any assistance
Stephen
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stephen, yes, a few times!!!

The reservoir will need to be removed but this is easy. Run and set the suspension on low, unclip all the pipes going to the top (filter head) housing, undo the two 10mm nuts at the rear of the reservoir and then carefully lift it - full of LHM - from it's bracket and remove from the vicinity... Be aware it is heavy as it will have a good 4 litres of LHM sitting in it. The pipes you removed will drip so plug their ends with clean rag. You don't want them dripping where you are now going to inspect as this could hide the real source of the leak...

You will see the anti-sink valve now... It looks like a tube with two round end caps. These end caps are threaded and are screwed on. Under the caps are O rings and these can perish and cause the leak. The caps can be unscrewed and the O rings replaced.

If this is the cause of the issue then new O rings will be needed. They are not a service part so suitable ones will need selecting. Whichever ones you choose, make sure they are LHM-proof by soaking them in LHM for a few days... Not all are and if they are not they may swell and go soft and sticky or go hard.

If not the anti-sink, with the reservoir out of the way the leak should be easier to spot.

Check all the rubber pipes you disconnected from the filter head and the rubber pipes that carries leakage LHM from the brake dosuer valve and the rubber pipe that carries return LHM from the steering pinion valve... All are known culprits for the sort of leak you have.

Let us know what you find...
Jim

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Thanks for the advice Jim, it will have to leak a bit longer as it's too bloody cold at the moment ;)
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline