Odd leccy query

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
Donor 2020

Odd leccy query

Post by lexi »

This is an old 12v hauling winch. No spares or wire remote are available and nothing on google about it.
It is a Superwinch Haulamatic. If you google it all that will really come up is a post from me on another forum.
The Winch:Image

And other side: Image

Motor is earthed to chassis. I can connect battery neg to chassis and positive from battery to the right hand terminal. A switching wire from each connection goes down to the plug which is two prong. There is a heavy battery lead (red) coming out from left terminal and the other on right (GREEN) goes live into the motor. Considering I cannot get a 2 pin wired switch remote, have you guys any ideas about wiring it for convenience? I can simply apply power from battery to the green terminal and then earth to chassis and the motor spins. It goes anti- clock wise. That means that the cable is spooling in at the top. I don't know that it makes any difference. I can set the lever clutch to free and pull the wire out of freewheeling spool. 3 settings on clutch lever: haul, lock and free. I am going to use it to haul boats up the steepish driveway. It is rated at 8000lb...........on the flat obviously. I have not put any load on yet to really test.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Odd leccy query

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would hazard a guess that if you isolate the black wire from the chasis, then connecting the black and blue wires to a reversing relay should make it reversible, assuming that it is a PM motor and the black and blue wires are going to the brushes.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Thanks for idea. All I know is the motor is American Bosch.......whatever that is.

I have an isolator heavy duty lucas switch. If I wired it like this, would i need to omit the switch wires? http://www.autow.com/winches/winch-wiring.aspx

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

It depends what you want to achieve... I assumed that you wanted to be able to reverse the motor to get a controlled unwind. If that is the case, then you need a reversing relay and/or controller. If you just want uni-directional operation, then the diagram on the linked page would work.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

A controlled unwind would be nice..........let stuff back down the drive. Can you give a description or schematic of reverse relay wired up in that set up of mine? I know as much of leccy talk as your 80 year old aunt knows about Stevie Ray Vaughan.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

This is what I had in mind:

You can add an RF remote control if you want.

An idea of price can be found at https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-LRW60 ... B00KGICYAA

Interesting warranty: This solenoid is guaranteed to perform equal or better than the solenoid it is replacing

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Thanks for your help.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Well after fixing two bolts right into my concrete, that little winch pulled an 18ft dingy right up the steep drive, just using jump leads.
That was it going anti-clock wise and I gave it a few breaks to save heating it. So a good unit and well worth setting up properly.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D A nice result Lexi!