Cheap new engines

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Cheap new engines

Post by myglaren »

New engine technology claims to reduce emissions by 50% and increase economy by the same. PSA said to be in talks with designers about it although they face stiff competition from electric vehicles.

Aquarius Engines.
It replaces the combustion engine with its multiple pistons thrusting up and down with a single piston that goes side-to-side. It has fewer than 20 parts and a single action, the company said. In tests by the German engineering company FEV, the Aquarius engine's efficiency was more than double that of traditional engines.
The invention from Israeli-based Aquarius Engines is currently being discussed by France's Peugeot, the firm said. Aquarius says the cost of the engine will be as low as $100 (92 euros).

According to the firm, the engine can allow cars to travel more than 1,600 kilometres (990 miles) on a single tank of fuel, more than double current distances.
Hmmm. Best I have had from mine was 663 miles before I chickened out and filled it up but my C5 is notoriously crap where consumption is concerned.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Cheap new engines

Post by Gibbo2286 »

myglaren wrote:New engine technology claims to reduce emissions by 50% and increase economy by the same. PSA said to be in talks with designers about it although they face stiff competition from electric vehicles.

Aquarius Engines.
It replaces the combustion engine with its multiple pistons thrusting up and down with a single piston that goes side-to-side. It has fewer than 20 parts and a single action, the company said. In tests by the German engineering company FEV, the Aquarius engine's efficiency was more than double that of traditional engines.
The invention from Israeli-based Aquarius Engines is currently being discussed by France's Peugeot, the firm said. Aquarius says the cost of the engine will be as low as $100 (92 euros).

According to the firm, the engine can allow cars to travel more than 1,600 kilometres (990 miles) on a single tank of fuel, more than double current distances.
Hmmm. Best I have had from mine was 663 miles before I chickened out and filled it up but my C5 is notoriously crap where consumption is concerned.
A bit unkind! think about what you get now compared with say a pre war Austin 7 which at best would give you 32mpg :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My thoughts too. The smug man driving his Morris Minor and getting 30 mpg doesn't realise that when he is going up a hill its only doing about 9 mpg, its only the fact that its doing about 300 mpg down the other side that gives him his average.

I have had an indicated 1000 miles plus on a tank in my 406 Hdi coming back from the North of Scotland a few years ago, I filled it up before I got to the 1000 mark but it was then showing I had about 1100 miles worth of fuel in the tank, the computer was showing about 67 mpg at an average 50 mph over 600+ miles, I have a photo of it somewhere.
It was a very hot day and I was driving very gently as I always do but I was rather pleased with that.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My C5 only got 32mpg until relatively recently where it has gradually crept up to nudging 40.*
I often see 9mpg uphill on my way home. Then 999mpg going down the other side :)

Most other C5ists report far better consumption figures.

*Apropos that; I credit the improvement to Torq diesel. The fuel station is very conveniently located for me and one of the few I can actually enter. Used to be Total but changed to Torq and since then my consumption has very gradually improved.
Went there a couple of weeks ago and was merrily pumping the juice in when I saw on the handle that it said "Torq Max"
Oho! thinks I, what's this then?
This was £1.30/L - £0.16 a Litre more than the standard stuff.
So presumed I would offset the increased cost by increased economy.
Not a bit of it. Slightly worse if anything.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I used to get 50+ from my C5 estate and even 60 on a long journey but most of my driving is done or rural roads and fairly long journeys and mine was manual of course.

Peter