Insurance NCD

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

elma

Insurance NCD

Post by elma »

Has anyone else had the problem where you start a policy with a certain amount of no claims discount, say 10 years, and when the policy ends they try to fob you off with proof of NCD for 5 years.

I've fallen foul of this scam 3 years ago and lost 2 years as I didn't notice. Last year I had a week long argument with the insurer and finally got my letter when I started a civil case against them for the difference in cost of insuring me with what they'd given me in NCD versus what I had actually earn. This year I have just spent an hour and a half on the phone arguing with Hastings that if I started with 10 years NCD then I finish with 11 rather than 9.

Watch out for it as different campaniles give different maximum NCD discounts, some cap it at 6 years so if you go in with 20 years NCD they may try to give you 7 years on the way out. As other companies tend to go for 9 years as a max with the highest I've seen being 12 this could cost you money.

chinkostu

Re: Insurance NCD

Post by chinkostu »

Ah, worth noting that. I'm coming up to 8 years NCD so i'll have to keep my eye on any documents!

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't think anything over five years really matters, it was always the case that maximum NCD was allowed to those with five years or more claim free.

Some of the online forms allow you to tick boxes up to nine years but I doubt it gets you a much better deal than five years.

I've got over forty years so mine should be free. :-D

spider

Post by spider »

I'm abit worried about mine as I've not used it for 2 years (no car) so when I come to get one if I can still use it or not. They did say about a year ago it was OK but I'd guess I'd have to go to the same (expensive) place to do this. A bit of shopping around may be needed to determine this or not, at least I have proof.

superloopy

Post by superloopy »

NCD normally has to be used within 2 yrs of last policy expiry date so i'm guessing you'll need to 'negotiate' a new starter rate.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Paulmi16

Post by Paulmi16 »

Was the other way round with me, started with No NCB and finished the year with 9 years NCB, The extra 8 years made no difference to the premium at renewal time when 'playing' on a well known comparison site, no the not the annoying singing one nor equally annoying one with a certain breed of animal

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

I go with the best price regardless of NCD so I wouldn't argue unless its ridiculously short.

Peter

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

I have used Chris Knott on and off over the years. It's mainly phone call stuff unless you are renewing. They always answer the phone very quickly and the tele girls are very pleasant and usually try and get the best deal. You can haggle a bit as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

I do mine on line, it means a lot of from filling but at least you know you have all the details correct.

Peter

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, I had this problem last year - it's the big cheap firms that do it (typical abuse of power/you're just a number mentality) albeit you get what you pay for... I think it was tesco insurance from memory (one of my cars currently with them). I exchanged stuff in writing with them (email), got no joy so rang them and got an answer, which I then got them to follow up by return e-mail (which, surprisingly, they did).
Their excuse was that their system didn't issue standard documentation saying anything over 10 years, but the system did record the correct number and they could issue a letter confirming the correct number (which I got from them).
As for nothing over 5 years being recognised, that's not the case these days - insurance risk assessment has got much more complex these days than it used to be...

chinkostu

Post by chinkostu »

My cheapest quote is tesco funnily enough, i'll keep an eye on that!