Problem with locks/cannot open door

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

theSWAN
My Cars: C4 Coupe '05

Problem with locks/cannot open door

Post by theSWAN »

Hey all, I have done my searching and cant find anything exactly like what I'm experiencing but if I have missed something could you please point me in the right direction.

I'll keep it brief but include as much detail as I can. Basically the locks on both the driver and passenger door are playing up. Christmas time last year I couldnt lock the car, it would lock then unlock immediately. It fixed itself for a short time but then it came back after some fiddling I disconnected the passenger door remote lock plug and manually locked the door with the key. After dealing with that for 4 months the driver's door started not locking recently and I could no longer lock the car at all. Last weekend the driver's door will not open at all now so I have to climb over the passenger seat constantly.

The exterior handle feels like it isnt connected to anything anymore but the interior handle still has resistance when pulled. I've pried open the door card enough to get my arm down inside but cannot do anything. My assumption is that the latch is engaged so my question is how do I open the door?

I have another part to fit but cannot remove the dodgy lock until I can open the door. Please help someone!!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Problem with locks/cannot open door

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that, before trying anything else, is to try a BSi reset. The C series Citroens have a lot of electronics, and can sometimes be susceptible to glitches. Doing a reset can help to clear these. Here is the procedure (it is for a C5, but should work on a C4), but make certain the battery has a good charge on it first;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Sounds like the locking solenoid inside the drivers door has packed up. This happened to my 207 very recently and I had to climb through the passenger side. A new solenoid solved the problem

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I had similar problems with bothy the Xsara and C5 at around the 10 - 12 year mark. I had to replace the lock assembly mechanism in both cars to cure it. A trip to the scrappies beckons methinks...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I too had similar problem with the rear door of my 2003 C5, I took the door lock assembly out, not the easiest but possible, the soaked it in WD40, made sure it all worked then put it back and it worked fine until the day I sold it......and on I would think.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Sadly my attempts to repair either of the faulty units bore no success. Believe me I did try!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recently had an issue with the O/S/R door on my C5 not unlocking (and I could not get it to open from either inside or outside). After a couple of days of irritation (and wondering HOW I was going to fix THIS problem), I wondered if something had not latched properly last time I closed the door. I leant on the door a bit, and then tried to unlock it. It was successful. I think (but I do not know) that something had not properly seated, so it could not unlock (and the leaning action completed the latching action).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!