306 Anti roll bar drop links

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

306 Anti roll bar drop links

Post by kevin »

Any suggestions on how to change these once the ball joint starts to rotate in the cup. Mine are coming to the end of thier life yet again, also the poor condition of the roads in rural northumberland are not helping.
I have considered using bolt croppers, could this be possible?
Many thanks
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

so when you try and turn the nut the whole thing spins so you cant undo it? If you kinda force back the rubber cover on the other side you can get some thin pliers/mole grips in and if you hold them damm tight you should be able to undo the nut. May be an idea to keep spraying them with wd40 for a few days before attempting to undo them to loosen them up
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Yes I have tried the WD40 trick with the mole grips. Even tried soaking the offending item in diesel and parafin and still they spin.
The diesel and parafin is a great trick for un-seizing metal items. The next ones to go on, I will file with a grinder two flat sections so to improve the grip of the spanner, mole grips etc when they fail again.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't mess about, just dig out the angle grinder[:D]
Changed these on my Xantia last weekend, and ended up cutting the end off one of them. In hindsight the angle grinder would probably have been quicker for all of them!
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

I agree with Richard - did these on my 306 a few months ago - got one off pushing back the rubber and mole grips at the back but it was a real pain. Didn't bother trying on the other 2 nuts - angle grinder is so much easier.
Michael
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Thanks for the advice, I will try the angle grinder trick next time.
Would 42" bolt croppers work just as well?
Once again many thanks
Kevin