XM Estate fuel cap not opening

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cullifer
My Cars: XM 2.0CT Estate 1992

XM Estate fuel cap not opening

Post by Cullifer »

Hi all,

I'm trying to resurrect a 1992 XM 2.0 CT Estate. Some doors and fuel filler will not open. The manual shows that there is a little notch in the hatchback in the event of failure of the fuel cap lock - but nil for the Estate. Anybody any advice - or simply remove all the interior trim around that area?
Regards Mike
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: XM Estate fuel cap not opening

Post by xantia_v6 »

I can confirm that the XM hatchback has access from the interior for this purpose (but it is very hard to see it unless you know exactly where to look). I don't know about the estate. You can also (with a bit more effort) access the push-rod by removing the wheel arch liner.

If several locks are not working, I suspect that there is an electrical problem which may not be anywhere near the filler door release solenoid.
Cullifer
My Cars: XM 2.0CT Estate 1992

Post by Cullifer »

Thanks xantiav6 for your prompt reply - looks like a journey in through the wheel arch is about to begin! The XM just about starts and rises - hopefully I can get the right rear wheel off and delve into it.

Yes indeed - the car has sat for 3-4 years in damp weather and electrical gremlins could be involved. It's a pity there isn't a more straightforward physical way of opening the lock. I could be brutal I guess and force it open but presumably would be left needing a new lock mechanism. I'm just really keen to get new fresh petrol into the car and get her running for a while.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

To avoid confusion, on the XM hatch, the lock solenoid is actually inside the car behind the trim panel, but the actuating rod passes through the space above the wheel arch liner.

On the Xantia, the solenoid itself is above the wheel arch liner, I don't know which scheme applies to the XM estate.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Can't remember exactly, but I'm certain access to it is from inside the boot area.
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!