206 gearbox needed

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matt4
My Cars: Peugeot 206

206 gearbox needed

Post by matt4 »

Hey guys,

My 206 has a gearbox issue. My mechanic said he would replace the box for me for £150 if I can source a gearbox.

Can someone recommend a reputable website/place to buy 206 gearboxes? But out of my depth here.

I know there are two types of gearbox, cable and hydraulic. I take it hydraulic is better?? Btw, my Peugeot is an '02 reg.

Thank you,
Matthew
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 206 gearbox needed

Post by xantia_v6 »

Which engine does your car have?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Sorry to hear you need a new gearbox.

I can't really recommend a place as such (if I needed one I'd try the local breakers first as they tend to keep them) but I wanted to point out a few bits:

The gearbox type varies on engine fitted. In summary the TU engines (1.1 / 1.4 / 1.6 petrols) tend to have the MA unit. The diesels (DW8 / HDi) and the larger petrol engines (2.0) have the BE unit.

You cannot easily switch between these. Note that its important to get something to match, for instance if you have a 2.0 petrol although a 2.0 diesel unit will fit the ratios will be quite unsuitable.

Regarding cable operation vs hydraulic, I'm assuming you have a RHD car yes ? If so:

It will be cable unless it is a diesel or possibly a 2.0 petrol.

LHD is mostly cable (if not all) and only the diesel RHD have hydraulic operation (typically)

Lastly the ratio's do vary a fraction anyway between say the 1.1 and 1.4 although to be honest in reality it is not likely to be that noticeable.

Swapping between cable and hydraulic is possible but its lot of trouble, if you already have cable stick with it same as if you have hydraulic stick with that. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I would expect a 2002 206 to have a cable operated clutch,just lift the bonnet to find out.If it has a cable that is the box you must use.
If you go for a second hand box,"you pay the money and take a chance",as it could as "good" as the one you have got.I would recommend having your box overhauled.It wont be cheep but it will be well worth it,also when the box is removed it will be very silly NOT to replace the clutch.
Try these guys for the box, http://www.woodleyautos.com/CarGears/ as your MA gearbox is so popular they will probably have a recon unit on the shelf.
I have used them many times for Peugeot/Citroen gearbox overhauls,never a problem,good reliable service.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Not too relevant but as far as I can determine (and remember!) only RHD ones *may* have hydraulic operated clutches and these *only* with larger engines.

Simply put: All LHD and 1.1 / 1.4 / 1.6 petrol RHD engines are all cable. 1.8/1.9/2.0 RHD may be hydraulic, more likely on diesel units.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG