306 Ignition Prob

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

donkey hotey

306 Ignition Prob

Post by donkey hotey »

I have a 97 R plate 306 xsi (new shape). Recently the car was juddering under acceleration in third fourth and fifth gear and was really bad in fourth between 2000 and 4000 rpm. While checking the plugs noticed that ignition coil pack was broken where the rubber joins the coil pack and heavily carbon fouled.
Bought a new coil pack and a new set of rubbers fitted them, went to start the car and car would not start, put old one back on and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start again. and the ignition fault light is on
Can anyone help me please?
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

If this is the standard Ignition unit with all four HT leads in one block then the manual for the Pug 106 says o.8 ohms across pin 1&2 and 3&4 and 14.6 K for a Bosch unit and 8.6 K for a Valeo unit. Are you sure you have the right unit. Goto eruocarparts.co.uk and look up the model and part number to see if it is the same as the R plate 106 TU1 1.1 engine. Hope that helps. Peter
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

is it the coil without plug leads ? is the 4 pin plug the same colour as the last one ? did you disconect anything (maybe even accidently) else to change it & not plugged it back in ? can you hear the fuel pump buzzing up when you switch the ignition on ?
donkey hotey

Post by donkey hotey »

Thanx guys
Yeah its the coil without plug leads, can hear fuel pump buzzing, definitely didnt disconnect anything else. not sure about the colour of the four pin plug though. Got the coil from a peugeot dealer and hopefully got right one as had to give chassis number to make sure i was getting the right part.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

wwwCar parts place N London.co.uk up and running again and yes it could be the same coil depending on your cars build number. So the resistance values I gave you may well be correct. Come back with the outcome. Regards Peter
donkey hotey

Post by donkey hotey »

Finally got car started today, don't know what the problem was. But the juddering has not gone, haven't got a clue what's causing it. Has anyone got any ideas?
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Have you fitted the right plugs for your model. check for vacuum leaks and feul filter service period.
donkey hotey

Post by donkey hotey »

thanx PeterD
have got right spark plugs and there aren't any leaks anywhere. have not checked fuel filter though will change it just to make sure.
I think that the problem is either a problem with the exhaust down pipe, the clutch(though the car does not judder in all gears and gear selection is fine) or possibly an engine problem. But will try the fuel filter first.
donkey hotey