Citroen Dispatch rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gareth
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2008
Citroen C3 2012

Citroen Dispatch rear suspension

Post by gareth »

Have a 2008 Dispatch (LWB), and had recently noticed that the air compressor was starting up, and running slightly longer than usual. No obvious issues with the suspension height though, and it's levelling, raising and lowering as normal.
However, I changed the rear pads and discs last night, and noticed than when I had the rear nearside jacked up (with the air suspension disabled), that the wheel was touching the wheel arch liner (at the front side towards the sill) - as if the wheel has been pulled slightly forward.
With the wheels on the ground and suspension levelled, it feels like there was slightly more clearance at the wheel arch on the offside. This was all in very low light though, so I couldn't do much more investigating.

I'm going back out to have another look at it now in daylight, but is there anything specifically that I should be looking out for? - Replacement bushings, mounts, or could the air suspension be causing the problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Gareth.
Bick

Re: Citroen Dispatch rear suspension

Post by Bick »

I would try the Berlingo forum as i have seen issues on there with this type of suspension fitted to Berlingos - cant be that much different to yours.

Sorry but i personally know very little apart from the air bags are not the best and perrish and start leaking.
gareth
Citroen C3 2012

Post by gareth »

I had a Berlongo before my Dispatch, and had the back suspension arm reconditioned after around 200k miles (new bearings and pins), but this is a different problem.
If the air suspension is leaking, it's very minor - and I'll probably do a spring conversion at some stage. It's storing enough pressure at the moment to raise and lower the unit without the compressor having to kick in.
It's the fact that the wheel is touching against the arch at the 9'oclock position when the suspension is off the ground. I've since found a listing for a rear wishbone bushing, so am going to visit my local Citroen parts dept in the morning to see whats what, as there's confusion on sites if it's pre or post 2007 (my van is 2008, long wheelbase). Does any one have any experience with that?
gareth
Citroen C3 2012

Post by gareth »

Have got two control arm bushes, so hopefully will get these fitted today (if the rain ever stops!). Will let you now how I get on
gareth
Citroen C3 2012

Post by gareth »

Have the suspension arm out - and I've been given the wrong size of bushes - 46.5mm, with the ones on the van being approx 66mm, so I've had to call it a day. To be honest, the rubber on the old bushes look like new - but the bolt going through the metal centre of the bush isn't a snug fit. Should there be a little bit of movement at this point, or could this be the problem?
Bick

Post by Bick »

There is usually some play but its a difficult one to advise on over the net
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm not familiar with the Dispatch rear suspension as such but generally rubber bushes with a steel sleeve are a loose fit (I'd call it a sliding fit) over the bolt because the bolt, when tightened up, pulls the side pieces on the bodywork/chassis in to clamp onto the sleeve.

It's absolutely NOT necessary for the bolt to be a tight fit as it could rip the rubber bush as it's turned otherwise!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​