Cactus

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Cactus

Post by Richard_C »

My next car will be smaller than my C5 Tourer, our needs have changed. Also my wife is beginning to suffer arthritis and clambering in and out of the C5 (seats are quite low and have deep side bolsters) after long trips is getting harder. Not keen on Golf/Focus although they are very fine vehicles, too mainstream.

Thinking about a Cactus. Anybody got one, driven one, any thoughts?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Cactus

Post by vborovic »

It's a Citroen thing, you either love it or hate it ... shame that there is no AM6 gearbox, only the EGS, but if you can live with that, it's a practical car that looks like a living room. Didn't have a chance to test it on longer runs, but the city drive was comfortable enough (coming from a steel sprung C5 X7)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Richard_C wrote:My next car will be smaller than my C5 Tourer, our needs have changed. Also my wife is beginning to suffer arthritis and clambering in and out of the C5 (seats are quite low and have deep side bolsters) after long trips is getting harder. Not keen on Golf/Focus although they are very fine vehicles, too mainstream.

Thinking about a Cactus. Anybody got one, driven one, any thoughts?
I've driven 3 or 4 over the last 12 months, but only as loan cars whilst mine has been in the Dealers Richard (that tells you how many times my C5 has been with Citroen - just with a Cactus)!
I find them perfectly adequate for general driving. They are quite roomy, the seats are slightly higher than the C5 - but there is no passenger height adjustment on the model I had. Very basic but solid interior. The finish on the dash has thick heavyweight glossy plastic finishings - and on the handles -feels quite solid. Lots of room on the dash for placing your coffee if having a takeaway (same cannot be said with the X7 as you know). Very economical, I've driven the Petrol and Diesel engined versions. The Diesel had Stop and Start Mode - which can be turned off if desired. There is also a display that tells you when to change gear. Just about all the controls are handled from the large touch screen display - and I mean just about everything! It has DAB radio too, Bluetooth of course and retains FM radio as well.

The car is very roomy in the rear and the boot is more than adequate. It is very quiet to drive and of course it has the anti supermarket trolley menace devices on the sides of the doors - basically a rubberised mattress on either side for protection.

Nice bright DRLs and no doubt can be enhanced with each trim level / option pack. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I like it. Comfy by modern car standards and a bit bonkers as I reckon a real Citroen really should be. Just reckon they've missed a trick by not offering the plastic cladding in ridiculous colours. If I could have one in black with neon yellow or orange detailing making it look like something out of a science fiction movie I'd be all over that...

Main gripe we had about the demo we had was the touch screen which controls everything. I have a pathological hate of all things touchscreen in cars (or in general), and the one in the Cactus we had was very sluggish and clunky - though I do believe that this is an issue that has been or is about to be resolved. Sorry, my reading on the current motoring world is somewhat lacking these days!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

I was very unsure about the touch screen on my C4 Picasso but soon got used to it and now think it's a great idea. The testers complained (what!) about it and also the number of buttons on the steering wheel BUT they only do a few miles so never get used to anything - remember the steering on the CX!

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Ocellia
My Cars: History of Citroens since 425cc 2CV van in '79, on through Dyanes, 4 DSs, Traction Commerciale, 4 CXs, 4 GSAs AX Gti, even a Saxo.

Post by Ocellia »

CX steering! Ah lovely memory.
Imagine; a car with diravi, 6 headlights, 2 steerable, Hydractive3 suspension, cyclops speedo,single spoke wheel, boxer 6 cylinder engine.......
Then he woke up.
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Stop it - I've just wet myself with excitement [-X
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ocellia wrote:CX steering! Ah lovely memory.
Imagine; a car with diravi, 6 headlights, 2 steerable, Hydractive3 suspension, cyclops speedo,single spoke wheel, boxer 6 cylinder engine.......
Then he woke up.
Lovely :D 8-) If only..

Be lovely wrapped in a nice rust-free S1 XM body...

I suppose the early LHD PRV V6 XM with Diravi was about as close to your dream as it got Ocellia... It had Hydractive I though and that had shortcomings although a bit of work could convert it to Hydractive II via a suitable donor...

Now that could be a dream car (almost) in reality ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks all for the Cactus comments and nostalgia various. I've been away so my thanks come late.

I had just about settled on a Cactus and started looking at one or two, cautious me thinking about a sinister black one with black bumps, the other me thinking about yellow, red, purple. Getting quite excited. Then my son who is a classical percussion student called to say he was about to buy a set of 4 timpani drums which we will keep here and take out to concerts as required. Downsizing is on hold for a while.

It's now a toss up between a C4 Picasso and a Berlingo Multispace. Not got the Citroen-ness of the Cactus, but high up should help my wife's stiffening joints, flat floor should let us transport at least 2 timps at once. I hope to be able to pick up a 2 or 3 year old one (it will have to be diesel, most seem to be 1.6 Hdi 115 bhp, no second hand 3 pot petrol ones about) so it won't lose me too much money in the medium term. Will downsize and turn to petrol 'one day'.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I just don't understand the thought process in that it would be a good idea to put a headboard on the side of a car! :? :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote:I just don't understand the thought process in that it would be a good idea to put a headboard on the side of a car! :? :P
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes they just don't do it for me. Citroen was always about flair. The Cactus has all the flair of a cardboard box.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
mickeymoon

Re: RE:

Post by mickeymoon »

Eddie Nuff wrote:I just don't understand the thought process in that it would be a good idea to put a headboard on the side of a car! :? :P
For doggers.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

To me it looks like a Slapped Pig....I dislike the new high front - slit eyed style, not my thing at all.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:The Cactus has all the flair of a cardboard box.
:rofl2:

I howled at that Dave. Still giggling now :D
Jim