The curse of the X7 steering rack!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

centurus2400

The curse of the X7 steering rack!

Post by centurus2400 »

Aargh - I've been struck by the curse of the leaky X7 steering rack :shock:

I haven't been using the car over the last few months but had to take it in for its MOT yesterday.
Oh dear - it's dribbling LDS from the offside of the front undertray and leaving a trail down the drive.
As far as the mechanic and I could see, the leak is coming from the rack, it's all rather unpleasantly oily there.
Having given it some though I'd like to get the car fixed as it's in excellent condition (Exclusive 2.0 HDi automatic tourer) and has covered only 65000 miles.
VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. I guess, worst case scenario, is that I'll need to replace the rack and the two hydraulic pipes as these also seem to give problems once disturbed.

Can anyone let me know the cost of these items, and are there any suppliers of reconditioned racks that are of decent quality, or would I be better off biting the bullet and having a new one?

I want to get this sorted as at the moment the car can't be driven and is sitting immobile, dribbling incontinently! Any help appreciated...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: The curse of the X7 steering rack!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problems with getting you a price - but your VIN number is too long = should be 17 digits - you have 18 :-D I've tried removing one of the '0's and the last digit - but it's not having any of it!

However, I've had the rack replaced by Citroen on mine (went at about 60k). As you probably know, they don't repair these - just replace the whole thing. The listed current price is £1,370.32 Ex VAT, or £1.141.93 inc. VAT - excluding the dreaded labour and VAT on the labour! This is for several different models of X7 - but if you want to be sure of the exacty one and part number for yours - just post up the corrected VIN.

Some have had refurbished ones and they have given out shortly afterwards - it's a bit hit and miss with these.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

Oops, I managed to put an extra letter in!
The corrected VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

It all sounds very costly! ACS will refurbish my rack and give a warranty for just over £200 all in, they seem to be a reputable firm.A saving of a grand seems tempting.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Certainly does - I can't remember how much the labour was now - as I had it done uder warranty - but you can bet it was probably a couple of hundred on top!

Anyway - same part under your VIN - Part Number 9801415480 (which is a replacement part) - so I don't know whether they have modified the design any due to all the problems. Same proce as previously mentioned.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

Thanks for your help on this Marc.
If I can ask one more question - can you give me the part number and price for the low pressure pipe assembly?
On the diagram I have the HP pipe is labelled (1) and the LP pipe is shown as (2)

I'm getting everything ready to do the job, I miss not driving the car!