C5 suspension pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

exasperated
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 3 litre

C5 suspension pump

Post by exasperated »

Hello All, my previous post was a tirade of complaints about my 2008 C5. The latest being its loss of suspension fluid. At present I accept that I am stuck with this car and had better shut up and fix it.
I have removed the suspension fluid reservoir but do not see an obvious leak, but the leak is definitely from that area. There is evidence of a long term seep from the large diameter pipe where it joins a plastic Y piece. Oddly these joints at the Y piece all are not clipped, whereas all the other joints to the reservoir are. Perhaps the Y piece has developed a crack.
Further to this, and to gain a better understanding of why the suspension pump can not be repaired, at least according to Citroen, has anyone got a defective pump for sale at a nominal price? Locally there is a C5 for sale at R20000.00 {1250GP] which is about the price of a new pump. Unfortunately this car needs a new pump, hence the low asking price. So if the pump can in truth be repaired this opens up interesting possibilities. So if anyone can oblige me please reply directly to dnielsen@polka.co.za It will be much appreciated.
Regards.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: C5 suspension pump

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There are a lot of threads on this forum regarding the C5 suspension pump if you do a search, however this one might be best for your needs, scroll down through the many pictures.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=49563
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
exasperated

Post by exasperated »

Hello All. Having now exposed the pump, I need to ask a further question before going any further. I still don't see any obvious cause for my leak. Is there a seal of some sort at the motor end of the pump. I am doubtful that the pump itself is leaking because even on standing overnight there is a leak of fluid. This could be caused by the slight positive pressure in the system and once this is released the leak stops. Even the use of a Borescope does not help much. Any advice will be appreciated.
Regards,
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

It is hard to spot a leak with a guess :(....you must be frustrated.

The only thing I can say is clean it all, dry and then wrap some tissue paper (It will show where the leak is quickly) v on some of the joints until you find the leak.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I doubt its the pump, you don't say how much fluid you are using over time.

Cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I did have one pump that had oil getting through from the pump into the electric motor and dripping out of the breather hole in the bottom. (After sludging up all the innards.)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I have just put 2 and 2 together...I think. This is an X7 now I don't know a lot about the X7 specifically but I suspect that the steering pump shares the LDS supply and there appears to be a common problem with steering racks on X7's so is this a case of a heavy oil leak in the steering system?

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
exasperated

Post by exasperated »

Hello All, Thanks for all the replies. I have established the following in my attempt to find the leak of fluid. the pump is not at fault as if it were leaking it can only come from the interface of pump and motor. In this case the fluid would have leaked into the wheel well and onto the liner. This is definitely not the case. I have pressurised the reservoir-- no leak there. similarly the plastic 'Y' piece is also sound. So my search goes on, and at this rate I will have the entire car in pieces.
My next question. There is a pump of sorts driven by the accessories belt, just below the exhaust camshaft sprocket of the front bank of cylinders , what is this for? I ask this, as there is a pipe exiting from said 'pump' which makes a large "U" and then disappears down and across the engine. This "U" is of rubber and is joined to metal pipes at either end and is wet with oil. If this is the problem I hope I will be able to repair it.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
exasperated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That pump is the air conditioning compressor, assuming the two silver pipes each have a stub (between the compressor and the rubber pipework).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

exasperated wrote:Hello All, Thanks for all the replies. I have established the following in my attempt to find the leak of fluid. the pump is not at fault as if it were leaking it can only come from the interface of pump and motor. In this case the fluid would have leaked into the wheel well and onto the liner. This is definitely not the case. I have pressurised the reservoir-- no leak there. similarly the plastic 'Y' piece is also sound. So my search goes on, and at this rate I will have the entire car in pieces.
My next question. There is a pump of sorts driven by the accessories belt, just below the exhaust camshaft sprocket of the front bank of cylinders , what is this for? I ask this, as there is a pipe exiting from said 'pump' which makes a large "U" and then disappears down and across the engine. This "U" is of rubber and is joined to metal pipes at either end and is wet with oil. If this is the problem I hope I will be able to repair it.
Thanks in anticipation.
Regards,
exasperated.
It may help if you posted a few pictures and tried to annotate the part in question so we can identify it. If you don't have a hosting site for pictures, then send them to me in a Private Message and I'll post them here for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I think we need to establish a few things first.

What model is it? 2008 could be a facelift C5 II or a C5 X7 (C5 III).

How much fluid are you losing over how much time?

Is there any sign of fluid on the ground under the car, and if so where?
exasperated

Post by exasperated »

Hello "hellraiser". The pump I refer to is not the air-conditioning compressor, that is right at the bottom below the alternator, whereas "my pump" is just below the camshaft sprocket.
To "homer" the car is a C5 II with 3+ suspension, having a third sphere in the middle of each axle. The amount of fluid is quite considerable at a guess about 150ml on the first occasion and a bit less on the second occasion. The first occasion I noticed a "stream of fluid" from the front rhs the next morning after using it the day before. I cleaned this up. The next morning and having not used it, the "stream' was there again and had a distinct orange colour. All of this led me to the conclusion that the slight pressure in the system had forced some fluid out. Since then I have been on the hunt for the leak.
To 'marc' I am not very computer literate, but am working on this side of things.
Yhanks to you all,
exasperated.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Although I think it was the X7 tin sprung only that had electric steering, could this be the power steering pump?

I'll take a photo of mine and upload it in a few minutes.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

exasperated wrote:Hello "hellraiser". The pump I refer to is not the air-conditioning compressor, that is right at the bottom below the alternator, whereas "my pump" is just below the camshaft sprocket.
To "homer" the car is a C5 II with 3+ suspension, having a third sphere in the middle of each axle.
To 'marc' I am not very computer literate, but am working on this side of things.
Yhanks to you all,
exasperated.
Hi - not a problem, but I think we just need to clarify a few things as there is a little confusion regarding your model - Exasperated, can you post up or PM your VIN so I can confirm the exact model and engine you have - there are different set ups for the steering even on the Mk III X7 and this would really help the guys with feedback. :wink:

If you can get someone if not yourself to take a few snaps with a phone camera and then email them to the email address in my profile, I'll be able to post them for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The aircon pump is under the alternator (below the oil filter)

Sorry, bit blurry.