Timing Belt Replacement C5 136 2.0 Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Timing Belt Replacement C5 136 2.0 Hdi

Post by onthecut »

Apologies if this has been done to death before.

Looking at doing the belt on a 55 plate C5 .Hdi which I think is the 136 hp engine. Made an error to start with by inadvertently undoing the fixed pulley retaining bolt, thereby losing the chance of locking everything in place before slackening the belt.

While the cam locking position is obvious, I am struggling with the crank. Should I be using the hole directly behind the starter motor, or is there one coming in from the gearbox side ? If one or the other, are they 8mm pins ?

If neither of those, is it like the 1.6 where the timing position is set at the nose of the crank ?

All info greatly appreciated.

Mike.
Bick

Re: Timing Belt Replacement C5 136 2.0 Hdi

Post by Bick »

behind starter motor for crank
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Timing Belt Replacement C5 136 2.0 Hdi

Post by lexi »

The one behind the starter motor is for flywheel. On my 8v I can get in with an 8mm pin welded to a thin rod bent to shape. I use a thinner rod first to locate the hole in flywheel, then ease the bigger one in when you know you are thereabouts. No starter removal needed on 8v . Don't turn the crank anti- clockwise when timing up your 16v motor.
As long as your 8mm pin is high tensile, that should suffice for taking crank pulley off. It is recommended to lock the teeth of flywheel with an adaptor as well though. If the crank pulley is being mega stubborn, you are best being sure with the added second measure of ring gear locked too.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2