Dispatch radiator removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RPWC
My Cars: Former Citroen owner.

Dispatch radiator removal

Post by RPWC »

Is this an easy job? and do I need any particular anti freeze, i.e. OAT or can ordinary bluceol be used.
Cheers Rich :wink:
RPWC

Re: Dispatch radiator removal

Post by RPWC »

surely someone can answer this?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I tried to look, but couldn't find a procedure. I would have expected it to be on long life (OAT) coolant. Normally bottom hose off to drain; top hose off; then figure out the top clamp arrangement (might involve grille removal) then lift out. Hopefully it's got normal hose connections not one of those stupid bayonet jobbies that won't come apart, and then when they do, you can't get them water tight again!

Edit: bad luck, it looks like bayonet bottom AND top :roll: :shock:
Richard W
Bick

Post by Bick »

yes its easy by my standards anyway (retired mechanic) - however i cant say by your standards?

Go for the OAT antifreeze - if ever in doubt what fluids you need log on to the Comma web site and input your reg - always a good indication of what you need.

Not many vans on this forum or Citroen franchised mechanics. Me i was a truck mechanic so what do i know :rofl2:
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

Thanks for that , the rad has sprung a leak and I can get a new one local today, just hoping it stays dry long enough to get the job done.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Rich make sure you smeare a bit of silicon on the connections when you push them back in the rad - if you have trouble getting the connections out of the rad you may have to cut a slot in the neck of the rad and open it up but sometimes they come out easy just depends on the age of the van.

Good luck with the weather!
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

Thanks for the hint, no joy with the weather, it p@£$ed down all afternoon. Hoping for very day tomorrow.
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

Well what pitfa that job was, took me nearly 3 hours to do it.! the hoses top and bottom don't go over the rad ports like on normal cars, they go inside,and the hose has a steel cowl type of thing on the end for strength. This just holds the hose in place and is "secured" by a spring clip,how, I don't know, as the clip does not have a firm grip, its thin as anything. I couldn't get the bottom hose off in situ, so had to remove it from the engine end,which on the Dispatch ,is at the back down at bottom of block. I have no garage, so had to do it with van jacked up on the roadside,very uncomfortable. The hoses aren't held on with jubilee clips either they are the spring clip type,that you squeeze the lugs with pliers to open them up and release the grip.
Got new rad fitted, started to refill the system, started the engine, and found coolant pi55ing out of the bottom of the top hose port. So a swift trip to local diy shop for some silicone,and smeared a good helping of it round the joint,refilled, ran engine and all is well. Next time I buy a van, seriously NOT considering Citroen again, but a Transit is too big, and the Vivaro/Trafic/Primastar is too.
Bick

Post by Bick »

:rofl2: you cant say i did not tell you about the silicon trick. Anyway its done now :-D
RPWC

Post by RPWC »

I know you did, but it doesn't have the bayonet fitting,so I didn't bother at first, as I thought it wouldn't need it.
Dispatchservice
My Cars: 2014 Citroen Dispatch

Post by Dispatchservice »

Hi, I know this an old post just curious what year is your Dispatch ??
Q; What year did they change the bayonet fitting to an ordinary pipe and clamp ??

( I have a 2011 Dispatch with a leaking bayonet fitting, I’m hoping some tec7 silicone and a jubilee clip will make a good connection ! )

Philip.