Citroen Evasion upgrade petrol to HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeoholic
My Cars:

Citroen Evasion upgrade petrol to HDi

Post by Peugeoholic »

I am hoping to fit an HDi engine from a Peugeot 306 in an Evasion.
I have the donor, but at this point I haven't looked at the wiring, but I am assuming it is unlikely to be a plug and play transplant.

Any suggestions on how to go about it will be welcomed - much easier than starting from scratch!
I have the whole donor car, so hopefully all the parts necessary are available.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: Citroen Evasion upgrade petrol to HDi

Post by Paul-R »

Honest answer. Sell both and buy an Evasion with an HDi engine already fitted. I reckon it's way too complicated to convert.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I agree, all the other components are likely to be completely different (ECUs, Braking System / ABS / ESP blocks, wiring, BSI etc.) Apart from all that - because you'll have had to of changed all the parts (if it is actually possible / practical) - it won't be the vehicle as registered and this will give you other problems with the registration of the vehicle type / class and Insurance issues - too much to even consider IMHO. It's not like you are replacing a 206 engine for another identical 206 engine... Doubt it is legal either.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 02 Sep 2016, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
zs&tas
My Cars: 2004 c5 2.0 hdi 138. *gone*
1988 pontiac firebird.
1996 1.8 8v xantia auto. soon to go .......
1999 2.0hdi xantia estate

Post by zs&tas »

That would be a lot of work, and probably some trouble shooting afterwards. Unless the car is particularly special it really is not worth your time .
Peugeoholic
My Cars:

Post by Peugeoholic »

Thanks for the comments which I agree are most likely appropriate for European countries.

However, five years ago there were only 24 Citroen Evasions/Synergies in New Zealand (and there would be fewer now) and none of them were diesels, and only one Peugeot 806 with an XUD.

So, short of importing one from the UK, I can't just look around and buy a diesel version, let alone an HDi.
And importing one will require proof that it meets various safety standards, including frontal impact and emission standards.

However modifying a vehicle will basically just require certification that it is still safe (ie checking that I haven't done anything silly like somehow stuff a 200 hp V6 twin turbo diesel into a Peugeot 104 while leaving the brakes and suspension as standard.... but there are a number of 205s that have had Mi16 engines installed etc). No issues with legality once it is certified.

Insurance for modified vehicles can be arranged.

Mechanically wise I believe the engine and gearbox will fit - the Evasion already has a gearbox from some sort of 405 in it - it originally came with a dud gearbox (shattered spider gear that vented half into the bell housing and the rest into the wild yonder wherever it happened). The 405 gearbox had been in a garage, originally from a scrap yard car of unknown variant.

Wiring wise, it seems that one possibility is to keep the wiring separate as much as possible, or to try to simplify the HDi wiring as much as possible and splice it in, or perhaps turn the wiring for the vehicle into a 306..... (it already has the airbag ecu).

I have seen references in the past to other cars where the HDi engine has been transplanted in - what has been done for those ones?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ah, the lack of suitable alternatives puts a different tilt on it. It's still not going to be easy, but anything's possible given enough time, effort and money!!! We'll be interested to follow progress....

The HDi is not horrifically complex compared to more modern stuff, but it is ECU controlled and there a number of sensors. You will need to carefully lift all the wiring from around the engine bay so that you get everything to the ECU. The ECU will need to be unlocked, as it is immobilised, and needs dialogue with the body computer / chip in the key to unlock it normally. If you get a choice go for a car with a siemens injection system, as these don't require a low pressure fuel pump in the tank which will simply things (or complicate if you go for Bosch!). The engine block is the same as the 1.9TD so getting it to fit shouldn't be too hard. I would go for a 90 BHP, as they are a bit simpler, and come without an intercooler - you can always get the ECU remapped whilst it is being unlocked to give a bit more oomph - and they mate to the standard BE3 gearbox with a cable clutch, whereas the 110 often uses the bigger ML box with a hydraulic clutch.
Richard W