Sunday Times Article

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Sunday Times Article

Post by Richard_C »

(Don't normally read a Murdoch, but neighbour is away and asked me to collect and safely keep it for him.)

There is a big piece in the Business section all about the female British Chief Exec of Citroen cars. Summarizing the bits that may be of interest to forum members:

Make distinctive comfortable cars
Its OK to make cars some people hate and some love e.g Cactus
New suspension on the way but not hydro-whatever
Reduce body styles from 14 to 8 in any region
Stopped discounting, offer finance deals instead, improve residuals
Avoid PSA brands competing with each other:
[*]Position Citroen as mass market (against Ford, Renault, Hyundai and others)
[*]Peugeot upmarket against VW
[*]DS as a designer brand
Raise prices before year end to recover currency losses, sounds like they will 'do what ford do'

The cynic in me wonders if a puff piece about the CEx in business section ("when I go home at the end of the day in my Cactus....") is in any way connected with the half page ad for a Cactus in the main section. But surely not?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Sunday Times Article

Post by JohnD »

"Quote - Stopped discounting, offer finance deals instead, improve residuals".

Who is she kidding! That's the only way dealers can sell them. Citroen maindealer Howards have several brand new C5 BlueHDI tourers for sale with 5 miles on the clocks and being sold as pre-owned. All at less than 19thou. List price £25600
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I'm really worried about Citroen under her, already seen the C5 gone this year :( I feel like Citroen is not interesting any more, and for the first time ever they don't make a car that appeals to me. Maybe the DS 5 at a push but thats another big annoyance i have, why the hell does the DS 5 not have Hydroactive 3+? even more odd it does not when its one of the thing the DS was famous for.

They should be doing MORE with their unique technology to really differenciate them from the rest of the market. They should have put the ACTIVA system in the last gen C5, they should still be selling the C5 and C6 or at least revamped it. Where are their fast fun cars? they keep winning world rally championships yet offer us cars that rarely do better than 9sec 0-60 , i want a 5,6 or 7 second 0-60 car!. I'm not sure i will be a Citroen owner in 10 years time as all the decent cars they once made will be too old then and out of citroens parts policy.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder what would happen if somebody with a properly fettled V6 Xantia Activa were to take Linda Jackson out for a long enjoyable drive (say, through the Sussex hills) where the Activa could REALLY show her what it could do? Not just the cornering, but the ride comfort.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder what would happen if somebody with a properly fettled V6 Xantia Activa were to take Linda Jackson out for a long enjoyable drive (say, through the Sussex hills) where the Activa could REALLY show her what it could do? Not just the cornering, but the ride comfort.
Good idea James :D

Alasdair, you are being called up... Citroen needs you to assure its future ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm afraid that Citroen lost me as a customer for mid-range cars when it didn't produce a C4 estate car. Looks like the Xsara replacement will be a Peugeot 308SW - and pretty soon too.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bick

Post by Bick »

The way to improve residual values is the way BMW did it by not offering you a bag of sweets for the car you are trading in but offering you a sensible price.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Help Citroen, I do not think that even they are that desperate. Anyway, DS will likely steal name "ACTIVA" for some s**t box on springs and multi level shocks.

(and then erase any links with "Citroen" from History)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't think they understand what the word 'Heritage' means. The ridiculous decision to break with the Hydropneumatic / Hydractive systems was the cut to the last real thread linking the uniqueness of Citroen back to its routes. There's nothing that Citroen has that everyone else doesn't already have. Where has the creativity gone? I saw that new ad for the FIAT Spider 124 yesterday: http://www.fiat.co.uk/124-spider and although I'm not a FIAT person, it was refreshing to see something different - I think they call it being creative.. although in citroen's case no longer 'creative technologie'.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Help Citroen, I do not think that even they are that desperate. Anyway, DS will likely steal name "ACTIVA" for some s**t box on springs and multi level shocks.

(and then erase any links with "Citroen" from History)
I fear you are absolutely correct in that prediction Alasdair :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I don't think they understand what the word 'Heritage' means. The ridiculous decision to break with the Hydropneumatic / Hydractive systems was the cut to the last real thread linking the uniqueness of Citroen back to its routes. There's nothing that Citroen has that everyone else doesn't already have. Where has the creativity gone? I saw that new ad for the FIAT Spider 124 yesterday: http://www.fiat.co.uk/124-spider and although I'm not a FIAT person, it was refreshing to see something different - I think they call it being creative.. although in citroen's case no longer 'creative technologie'.....
Fully agreed Marc...

The new Fiat 124 looks nothing like the original 124 and that's all for the good... It was never a looker...

Wonder if the Russians will produce a Lada version of the 124 Spider in a few years?
Jim

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

£19.5 to £24k from standard to top spec. Only one engine at present - 1.4 multiair 140HP Petrol. Not too bad a price. I know markets are tough - but if manufacturers loose their individuality, they will fall by the wayside and we'd all end up driving Ford Mondeos, God forbid!

Edit - actually I wouldn't - I would get a bike first before that happened :twisted:

As was said earlier in the thread - the DS5 is the only other vehicle I would consider - at least the interior design is gorgeous - but the prices new are prohibitive. The ride is nothing to write home about either on the earlier models - so I've read.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 29 Aug 2016, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

I've just returned from a week up at Ullapool in the C5 and my mother made a couple of comments.
1. She found it harder to get in and out than the Xantia
2. The ride was very comfortable that was after a short ride in a Fiat MPV taxi.

As comments made Citroen in name will no longer exist shortly.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Yes it is really important that a car manufacturer remains true to the technologies that made them distinctive. Not doing so guarantees total failure for the brand. Loose that characteristic and loose your place in the market. One big example spring to mind.
Rear mounted horizontally opposed petrol engines driving the rear wheels. Nowadays VW to most people means front mounted inline turbo diesel driving the front wheels unless it is 4 X4.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

BX, that's so very true...
Jim