Just picked up another 206, seems nice...

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Just picked up another 206, seems nice...

Post by ekjdm14 »

As some of you may be aware we've been considering options regarding some bits that need doing on the better half's 206 1.4HDi, mainly the rear beam but also a few other little upgrades etc. Anyway yesterday we went to have a look at a potential spares car, it's an older non-multiplexed 3 door with a 1.4 petrol lump and getting on for 200k on the clock but the MoT history & a quick look underneath suggests the rear beam was replaced wholesale with a much newer item a few years ago as well as having 3 brand new tyres and electric windows/mirrors and (non-functioning) air con. We snapped it up for 99 quid with the full intention of pulling it straight to bits and getting the shell shipped off to make coke cans by the weekend.

Only problem is, having looked over the car and taking into account how sweetly it drives and runs (seller claims the little TU engine was replaced couple of years ago and I can believe it), I'm now considering it may be kinder to the car and more profitable for us to resurrect it and sell it on. From having a quick look over it I reckon with new front pads, new brake fluid and bleed plus get the windscreen washers working (pipes missing but pump works) it'd probably pass an MoT.

Cosmetically it needs a N/S front wing & door as the door's been bent back and dented both, maybe a better bonnet plus a front foglamp securing back in place but I think it'll make a nice little car for someone as long as they pay attention to how it runs/drives and general condition rather than being scared off by the high odometer reading

Ramble over, just kind of thinking aloud. I do like these little cars though, it wears it's mileage well & the interior is particularly tidy for a high miler. Perhaps more to come if & when we get stuck into it.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Just picked up another 206, seems nice...

Post by CitroJim »

The TU engine is a right little cracker... Although on the 206 the Magnetti Marelli injection can be a bit of a potential difficulty but a session on Pug Planet always sorts it.

Non-multiplexed is a big bonus in my book...

At the end of the day, compare both and take the decision on what is the bet one to go with...

My gut feeling would be to go with the TU one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Our local free paper has a 53 Peugeot 206 SP16 convertible listed at a nearby dealer Chaxhill Garage, Westbury on Severn. for £1295.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body

Post by ekjdm14 »

yes it seems a lively little car and drives well (on private roads for now obviously), much tighter than it's mileage would suggest. The aircon would also be a bonus if it can be got working (as well as no BSI worries, handy as the seller had to jump it!).

I think we'd still be selling it on though as the missus is attached to her HDi and, from working on it, it's a definite gooden despite it's beam issues and needing a clutch. Not sure if she'd go for 3 doors either, and she also loves the EZA mercury grey paint compared to the petrol's EYC silver (same as the ZX and XM we had, and much easier to get) but she likes the grey even though it's hard to tell apart on a bright day and costs twice as much to get it mixed up specially.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Well it's been a while since I got on here & I've done the clutch on the missus' HDi (and for the record, Motaquip 3-piece kit for 60 quid from Hardies of Larbert & it feels lovely and light compared to the original Valeo.) Old one was right on the rivets and would have damaged the flywheel if left much longer so that was good. On the petrol car front, I've decided it's too good to scrap yet too tatty to break for much so it's currently serving as a plaything to experiment with rear beam lowering/rebuilding and it's not been half the ballache I expected from reading up on it. Maybe I was lucky but there was only one spline seized where I couldn't just whack it free with a 2Lb hammer and drift, and the car now sits on it's backside with a static drop of around 100mm at the back and some 60mm lowering springs up front although I think i'd prefer if that was 100mm too even if the ride would be worse than it is now.

Plan is to just fiddle with it, do a few experiments before trying them on the nice car and if/when something major goes wrong with it, strip and scrap it then.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You were certainly lucky with the rear beam! I've taken a sledgehammer to 205 ones in the past to get them apart!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:You were certainly lucky with the rear beam! I've taken a sledgehammer to 205 ones in the past to get them apart!!!
Here is a spare one for you, Jim!;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/premium-sledge-h ... 8044007500
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just the job James :D I need one of those as presently I'm without one so thanks, much appreciated :D
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Brilliant, should be just the ticket for the missus' car when I either rebuild it's own beam or build a replacement. I have a distinct feeling on comparing the petrol (187k) to the HDi (95ish) that the petrol car had a whole new beam not too long ago (backed up by a rear "axle bearing/pin" failure on the MoT history around 5 years ago)

Currently I'm trying to dissuade myself from doing stupid things with the front coils and a grinder, since another 40mm off the front ride height to match the "stiffened" (read-: just about on the bump stops) rear would have it looking pretty mean if you're male and about 14 years old... Which of course I am, mentally anyways, my knees beg to differ...

I suppose I could swap the 60mm springs to the HDi though, as they aren't ridiculously stiff nor too close to the bump stops, and the missus has given her semi-approval to the lowered look when not taken to daft extremes so am considering GTi torsion bars for hers as I believe they're stiffer than standard, and a 60-80ish drop on the back there too. Anyway enough of my rambling, just trying to keep a record of my thoughts as they fly through my head more than anything. Will certainly be after one of those sledgies in the near future though as I'm also currently sans marteau.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:if you're male and about 14 years old... Which of course I am, mentally anyways.
Same here ;) Luckily the old knees are not too bad...
Jim

ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Good stuff, I think an excess of stunt riding/attempted stunt riding in my late teens took its toll more than I let myself believe it would do! By the way, is it your good self who gets a mention in PC magazine this month helping out with another Activa?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:By the way, is it your good self who gets a mention in PC magazine this month helping out with another Activa?
Yes, it is!!! That is I....

The pictures of the sphere tester and ELIT diagnostic tester are mine...
Jim