OBD scanner problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cfiver
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDI

2004 C5 Mk11 2.2 HDI Auto Exclusive

OBD scanner problems

Post by Cfiver »

Hi All.

I hope somebody can help me with some advice regarding OBD scanners. I purchased a cheap Ebay version with MPPS software a few days go and spent hours actually getting it to work on a laptop. When I finally succeeded and plugged it in to the car I got the reading as per the attached photo and could go no further. I checked with the vendor to verify that my car would be catered for and he stated that it was but now I'm not sure. I am a novice as far as this is concerned and it looks like being a steep learning curve!

Car is 2004 C5 Mk11 2.2HDI auto Exclusive and ECU is EDC 15C2 K line.

https://fileshare-c1810.cloud.acer.com/ ... aGVloCfk44
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: OBD scanner problems

Post by Paul-R »

Do you have any more photos showing what happen when you select EDC 15C2 K line?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Just to check, you do know that MPPS is a software for ECU/tuning flashing? Or, do you actually know what you are doing to the car?
Cfiver

Post by Cfiver »

Paul-R wrote:Do you have any more photos showing what happen when you select EDC 15C2 K line?
Hi Paul.

No more photo's I'm afraid. Could not get any further as ECU not recognised.
Cfiver

Post by Cfiver »

vborovic wrote:Just to check, you do know that MPPS is a software for ECU/tuning flashing? Or, do you actually know what you are doing to the car?
Yes, I do know what it is. I wanted to start with showing any faults that may be present. I don't intend to alter anything at this stage.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Personally, unless it is one of the "Pro" ones and thus mega $$$ I would only interface with a PSA car via Diabox/Lexia
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

MPPS is not an obd diagnostic system. It cannot display or clear fault codes. It is usually used to remap the ecu generally with the intention of more power. It can also be used to transfer firmware from one ecu to another. I use a different but similar system if I ever need to replace a faulty ecu. I can clone the original ecu so that the replacement is plug and play, and works with the existing immobiliser, body computer, dash etc depending on which units are coded together.
To go remapping there are two options.
Option 1 is to download a flash file and hope it does what's promised when loaded into the ecu.
Option 2 is to create a custom file and load it. Impossible for most of us and slightly less difficult for those who have a detailed knowledge of the fueling and other parameters of a given engine and also have the required expertise to create the 3d cartographic maps. A dyno to test the results is also handy.
If you want to diagnose your car there are several systems that work very well. If you only work on one make then the manufacturer specific one is always the best. For Citroen that is lexia / diagbox.
Cfiver

Post by Cfiver »

BX wrote:MPPS is not an obd diagnostic system. It cannot display or clear fault codes. It is usually used to remap the ecu generally with the intention of more power. It can also be used to transfer firmware from one ecu to another. I use a different but similar system if I ever need to replace a faulty ecu. I can clone the original ecu so that the replacement is plug and play, and works with the existing immobiliser, body computer, dash etc depending on which units are coded together.
To go remapping there are two options.
Option 1 is to download a flash file and hope it does what's promised when loaded into the ecu.
Option 2 is to create a custom file and load it. Impossible for most of us and slightly less difficult for those who have a detailed knowledge of the fueling and other parameters of a given engine and also have the required expertise to create the 3d cartographic maps. A dyno to test the results is also handy.
If you want to diagnose your car there are several systems that work very well. If you only work on one make then the manufacturer specific one is always the best. For Citroen that is lexia / diagbox.

Many thanks BX for this information. When I purchased the MPPS system the Ebay listing stated that it would read as well as write! Have seen a Lexia/diagbox for around a hundred quid so will get hold of one of them.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There are a number of members who own Lexia/Diagbox equipment and many have found that buying from Easydiagnostics is recommended.

A list of members who offer diagnostics using their Lexias here and a mixed bag of Lexia info here.
Cfiver

Post by Cfiver »

myglaren wrote:There are a number of members who own Lexia/Diagbox equipment and many have found that buying from Easydiagnostics is recommended.

A list of members who offer diagnostics using their Lexias here and a mixed bag of Lexia info here.

Thanks Steve. Easydiagnostics is the one I'm looking at.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mention that you are a forum member and they will usually give a discount - even if it is only free postage.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Cfiver wrote:When I purchased the MPPS system the Ebay listing stated that it would read as well as write
Well, duh, it does that, but it's not a car diagnostic package, but what BX explained ... that's why initially asked you if you know what you're doing to the car (or, what it is you want to do) ... and you confirmed ...