Automatic Transmission fluid change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Automatic Transmission fluid change

Post by PC2CV »

I have to change the ATF in two cars; the Saxo and the C5.

The C5 has the ZF4HP20 and at 80,000 miles i have no record of a fluid change.

The saxo has a BVA MB3, as i am working on it at the moment i have it ready to refill and just got ordinary power steering fluid ATF, which the bottle claims does automatic transmissions.

Are there filters that have to be changed in these gearboxes, or (especially for the C5) a special type of fluid that should go into the gearbox?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Automatic Transmission fluid change

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would be cautious about using the fluid that you have pictured. ATF-A is (apparently) an older spec hydraulic fluid that is mostly used for power steering and agricultural applications. Check the transmission manufacturers fluid specification, and see if ATF-A is on the list.

The 4HP20 requires special fluid LT 71141 and nothing else. The 4HP20 does have a filter, which should be replaced, but unfortunately you have to remove the transmission from the car to access the filter (so in practice it is only changed after the transmission has died).

[edit] I just checked and for the MB3, Citroen call for Total ATX, which is a Dextron IID clone, so normal Dextron fluids should be safe (although I am not sure that your ATF-A is Dextron-compatible).
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I'm aware the HP has an internal filter. I was not aware it was accessible without dismantling the transmission (something I thought was a very silly idea!) :)

The Saxo transmission, its the same as the one in the 106. Its a 3 speed unit if memory serves. Its quite rare. Something at the back of my mind tells me its a Renault based unit but I could be wrong. I would be *very* wary of making sure the fluid is correct on this (the HP unit it goes without saying that those should have the LT fluid only!) but the 3speeder in the Saxo, I'd stop and double check what fluid type is needed.

At the risk of wasting money (sorry) I'd actually ask the main dealer (no one else like a factor) how much a small bottle of it was for the Saxo and what type etc, then you can at least see if its LT, normal ATF or something completely different.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Looking at S.B (I only have Peugeot) the 106 Auto lists this for the auto transmission:

9730 94
RP 9730 AC
(MKT) OIL
2 L (DEXTRON)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG