Xantia AL4 Auto Gearbox Diff - how many splines?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bargeman
My Cars: 1999 Xantia Estate 2.0 16v
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Xantia AL4 Auto Gearbox Diff - how many splines?

Post by Bargeman »

Hi All

I hope someone can answer the question, I've tried to search past posts with no luck.

I have a bit of rumble on the right hand drive shaft, and if stripping down to change the bearing thought that I might as well change the whole thing, as both CV joints have done the same mileage and must by definition be getting a little worn. I am not sure about the replacement parts, the problem being that I have the AL4 Automatic gearbox, which I believe has a different number of splines on the differential final drive to the manual boxes.

I have found Citroen Part Number 3273 4X (from the service.citroen,com web site - got "in" once, but cannot get to the part number section again) ) but cannot find on the net a cross reference for Quienton Hazel / SKF / Spidan etc.

I think that the diff splines should be 24 and the wheel end 25 for the auto box.

Have anyone any thoughts on how I can be certain to order the correct part number without dismantling the existing shaft from the car. As the online spares sites keep giving me different part number options, non of which cross reference on any of the part number sites that I have found.

Hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Bargeman
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Re: Xantia AL4 Auto Gearbox Diff - how many splines?

Post by chinkostu »

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeo ... ems-3.html

seems to suggest that one side is a female type fitment!! servicebox isn't helping thusfar
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Bargeman
My Cars: 1999 Xantia Estate 2.0 16v
2012 C3 Picasso 1.6 HDI

Re: Xantia AL4 Auto Gearbox Diff - how many splines?

Post by Bargeman »

Thanks Chinkostu

Very helpful, removed the veil from my eyes. The photo shows a male spline on the right hand side.

Have spent hours searching for new shafts, for the AL4 Auto box they are like moon dust, can't find any in UK, only the right hand side in France and the left hand one in Germany (both about £100), or the Citroen original part, also in France and Germany at around £400 each, ouch, won't be going down that route.

Thanks very much for the input, Bargeman