Citroen C5 Gearbox Fault - Crank Sensor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pd2444
My Cars: Currently 2009 C5

Citroen C5 Gearbox Fault - Crank Sensor?

Post by pd2444 »

Hi all,

Car is 2008 (X7 model) C5 2.0 HDI with the 6-speed AM6/TF80 gearbox.

It has done 140k miles but generally goes OK.

However, since I've been driving it over the last couple of months I have noticed the odd weird shift pattern. I don't mean it slips or clonks or does other things a failing valve body on these gearboxes (which I am familiar with!) usually does but that the car its self will sometimes put it into 6th at 45mpg and sometimes you can enter a motorway and it'll stay in 5th at 70mph for ages unless you manually select 6th in which cases it changes just fine.

However, yesterday with the car still quite cold I came to a stop and it cut out. I re-started and pulled away but once it got to 3rd gear I had the "bong of doom" and Gearbox Fault on the dash and the gearbox was in limp mode. I stopped and restarted and all was fine again.

I have had a look at the codes and the gearbox error code is P0727 which apparently relates to no engine speed information. A bit of further research says this can also lead to weird shift patterns.

There is also a code in the engine of P0337 which relates to crankshaft position.

Am I right in thinking these are both related and the gearbox gets its info from the same place?

I presume the first course of action is to try a new crank sensor? Has anyone had similar faults/codes which have been caused by this?

Thanks.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Citroen C5 Gearbox Fault - Crank Sensor?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Do a forum search on oil changes .....they say this box is sealed for life however that "life" seems to be for the lease market eg: 100-120k miles.

They respond well to a good couple of changes over a short time period so an change would be my first call. (ONLY USE the oil from a Dealers)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

pd2444 wrote: However, yesterday with the car still quite cold I came to a stop and it cut out. I re-started and pulled away but once it got to 3rd gear I had the "bong of doom" and Gearbox Fault on the dash and the gearbox was in limp mode. I stopped and restarted and all was fine again.

There is also a code in the engine of P0337 which relates to crankshaft position.
If the engine stalls it will record a crankshaft sensor fault but when restarted it will remember that, at least for a while but not put up an EML.

As Mr. Sticky says, the gearbox oil may well be the source of your problems - known issue with them.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Don't shoot me down, as I'm working from distant memory here, but do differing tyres / tyre circumferences cause odd problems with these gearboxes ? I seem to remember people having odd problems related to differing tyres across axles but can't remember if it was with this gearbox and whether it caused odd changes (as per OP) or ESP/ASR issues....... or none of the above :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Certainly some automatic gearboxes and ABS/ESP systems can be confused by different tyres (even between makes supposedly of same sizes) as the tyres (if they have differing circumferences) would then have different spin speeds.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

bobins wrote:Don't shoot me down, as I'm working from distant memory here, but do differing tyres / tyre circumferences cause odd problems with these gearboxes ? I seem to remember people having odd problems related to differing tyres across axles but can't remember if it was with this gearbox and whether it caused odd changes (as per OP) or ESP/ASR issues....... or none of the above :-D
Are you referring to this post - seems an almost identical issue:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ce#p496615
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
pd2444

Post by pd2444 »

I think it definitely could do with an oil change but I think the reason for it going into limp is, at the moment, an electronic one rather than mechanical.

The code the gearbox stored was "Engine Speed signal incorrect value received". I presume the engine gets that signal from the crank sensor then sends it to the gearbox?

As they don't appear to be much money I will try a new crank sensor then look at an oil change. Next question: where exactly is the crank sensor on these cars - are they gearbox or cambelt end?

Thanks for all replies so far.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Will try and have a look tonight at crank sensor as have an engine lying about..
Will do and oil change on mine soon as i can too.
2.0 hdi 125,000
John
pd2444

Post by pd2444 »

Well, found it. Pretty easy really - take off the driver's side front wheel and you can see it. It reads off a reluctor behind the crank wheel - one 10mm bolt and it comes off.

Have put a new one on and no stalling or gearbox errors thus far.
aeroboy64
My Cars: renault 19 16v cabriolet
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

pd2444 wrote:Well, found it. Pretty easy really - take off the driver's side front wheel and you can see it. It reads off a reluctor behind the crank wheel - one 10mm bolt and it comes off.

Have put a new one on and no stalling or gearbox errors thus far.
Hi sorry to reply to an old thread but as i'm having the same problems with my gearbox did the new sensor cure the problem?My box stalls and goes into limp mode (3rd gear) and after restarting all is fine (comes up gearbox fault and makes a hell of a noise).
Thanks in advance for any replys.
pd2444

Post by pd2444 »

The crank sensor certainly cured the stalling issue (or, at least, seems to have done) and stopped the gearbox going into limp mode after the car was restarted.

As for the reluctance to change up - top marks to the posters who said check the tyres. The tyres were Michelin Primacy all round so looked identical but 3 were 101 load rating and one was 97 (on the back). I took the 97 off and put the spare on which was a cheapy non brand tyre but 101 load rating. Viola - completely different gear pattern above 40mph.