Aftermarket bits and pieces

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

onthecut

Aftermarket bits and pieces

Post by onthecut »

I can't be the only person to have noticed that while the original suspension and steering bits on most PSA vehicles are good for ten years and six figure mileages plus, as soon as you start using aftermarket bits, those lifespans seem to shorten dramatically. This seems to apply to 'quality' aftermarket too.

I thought I had found an answer in using 'Lemforder' (ZF) bits, but most recently was heartily cheesed off to find 'Made in China' stamped on the box. A friend of mine has a Sprinter van and found the original tie rod end was made by TRW -- stamped on the ball housing. He duly went and bought an 'OE Quality' TRW aftermarket replacement, only to find it substantially more feeble looking than the original. A trip to the Merc dealer got him an original piece, made by TRW still, but exactly matching the original.

So -- if the aftermarket ones are supposed to meet or exceed the manufacturer's original spec -- why don't they, especially from the same supplier ?

Really bugs me, especially given the fiddle element involved in some of the jobs.

Mike.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Aftermarket bits and pieces

Post by Stickyfinger »

Try and claim that legally .......then you will see why.

There is no need to fear false "OM Quality" claims if you make these parts.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Mike

Long time no see. I used cheap aftermarket drop links on my 406 and they only lasted about a year, the last time I changed them I searched through the ebay listings for something that looked a bit better, I found some that although I had not heard of them appeared to be of better quality, they had allen key holes in the end of the ball joints, and came in nice illustrated cardboard boxes, I know that doesn't necessarily make them any better but these were, and lasted the rest of the cars life. Its the rubber boots that fail on the cheap ones and let the water in. They cost little more than the cheap ones.

Peter
onthecut

Post by onthecut »

Hello Peter.

Long time no speak indeed. It's funny looking back to the XM years when everyone thought they were complex and difficult and now you look at the latest C5 and the XM seems a model of simplicity. I'm guessing the X7 C5 will be the last ever with proper suspension; just a shame they made it so poky inside. I think it has a better feel than the model it replaced, but the early version wins hands down for practicality.

I am surprised at the almost zero response to this thread -- maybe it's just me and I b****r them up when I fit them !

Mike.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi again Mike

Yes I miss the XMs, my last one went for scrap about 3 years ago, end of an era. I had about 7 or 8 over 15 years or more and did lots of miles in them.

I have had a couple of C5s but they don't really compare with the XM, ride is not as good and jittery, I drove one of Johns (XM Exclusive) 2.5s about a year ago and the ride was superb. I have four of Johns XMs in my field, I should think they have been there for 3 or 4 years now, if he doesn't move them soon there wont be much left to move, he hasn't been well so I'm not pressuring him but the wife would like to see them gone as there are two of mine up there now as well, my last C5, failed head gasket just before we were going on holiday in May and my first 406 Hdi estate which was written of by damp in the electronics. :?

I now have 2 x 406 estates, they don't ride as well as the C5 but not that much worse and the handling is superb in comparison and much like the XM they go on forever, my first one had done 246k and you see them for sale with 300-400k.

Anyway I will stop waffling, hope you are well.

Peter