Help needed with CPH/ECU new key coding. Xantia HDI 90

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

Help needed with CPH/ECU new key coding. Xantia HDI 90

Post by pete the bus »

Story so far:
Early June we lose keys to car. Key and immob codes obtained from local dealer (FOC).
Contact local auto-electrician to cut new key and programme new key to CPH/ECU.
After a week he declares he is unable to read the CPH with his lexia and advises unlocking ECU. We decline and look elsewhere.
A week later we contact another auto-electrician. He gets a new key cut and also says he cannot read CPH. He removes CPH and takes it away saying he will try and connect to it directly.
After about a fortnight I ask him what the situation is and he replies he is now trying to get a file to get the ECU to run without immobiliser. He seems confident this is the best and cheapest option so we run with it. After another fortnight I contact him for an update. "Not looking good. I'm getting my mate to have a look".
He doesn't seem to like to have me there when he is at the car and scoffs at any info I try to give him that I have read from reading posts on here.
So where to go from here? As I see it I have a couple of options.
1. Get a complete working set-up from a donor car - Key, CPH and ECU - and use a newly cut key for doors and ignition barrel.
2. Find and fix the problem with not being able to "see" the CPH/ECU with the Lexia and re-code the immobiliser normally. (Which would be fine if I had a Lexia!). I understand from posts on here that it could be faulty wiring under the radiator that provides a voltage between CPH and ECU and this results in Lexia not seeing them.
Option 1 seems straightforward except for finding a donor car and/or relevant parts.
Option 2 is a possibility but I doubt the electrician would agree and I don't have a Lexia to do the key programming myself!
Vehicle is Xantia HDI 90 Series 2 estate "T" reg.
Thoughts Please!
Many thanks
Peter.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Help needed with CPH/ECU new key coding. Xantia HDI 90

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have you had a look at this Citroen Xantia CPH Texton ID48

Might be worth a call to see what they say...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Thanks for the link. It's definitely another option to think about. I'll give them a call this afternoon.
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

I rang the mobile number listed at the top of the page. The guy was out working on a job but didn't seem to even know about the service offered! I then rang around a few auto locksmiths to see if they knew of this service and so far nobody does so I'm not too confident about going down this route.
Anybody know where I might get find a scrap HDI 90 for the CPH/ECU?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I was just wondering about the first guy who used his Lexia and who couldn't communicate with the module - this is not unheard of on later cars either and can sometimes be attributed to the version of the software being run on the laptop and of course on other factors like the Operating system of the Laptop being used (32 or 64 bit OS). As we know, Lexia is an old programme and won't work properly on 64 Bit operating systems. He could be running just an older standalone version of the Lexia software - or he could be running Diagbox which will contain a version of Lexia and switch to the Lexia software for older cars like the Xantia. However, depending on Lexia software version and the firmware of his actual Actia hardware clone - this could also influence whther the unit will communicate with the CPH.

Without wanting to get too deep, what I am suggesting is it would make sense to try and get another Lexia unit on your car to see if it will read the CPH unit or not - at least you will have a better idea that the unit is likely to be faulty knowing 2 different Diagbox / Lexia systems are not reading it, before going for the replacement option - which is looking increasingly difficult to source all or any of the bits for.

In the interim here's another module on the bay.. - if you can post or PM your VIN, I can have a look at the part for you to see if it matches this one or not. This one is working according to the seller, although it's from a Peugeot - but the good thing is he is breaking the rest of the vehicle, so you might be able to get some other parts needed if compatible.
CPH Module
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 28 Jul 2016, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Here's another module on the bay..
CPH Module
Yes, I've seen a few CPH units on there but I was under the impression the CPH was linked to the ECU with the immobiliser code. Therefore you need the two together from the same car to work. I may be wrong on this so please let me know.
I have found a complete car for breaking on the bay - I'm just waiting to hear back if it's a 90 or 110 - and he has the key. Fingers crossed.
As to the non reading of the ecu's, yes I am not sure how or what they were connecting with. I did explain that a generic OBD reader would not work. His response was to explain that he had the equipment to do just about anything - and basically to leave him to it. 3 weeks later and I am still leaving him to it!
Last edited by pete the bus on 28 Jul 2016, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

pete the bus wrote:
GiveMeABreak wrote:Here's another module on the bay..
CPH Module
Yes, I've seen a few CPH units on there but I was under the impression the CPH was linked to the ECU with the immobiliser code. Therefore you need the two together from the same car to work. I may be wrong on this so please let me know.
I have found a complete car for breaking on the bay - I'm just waiting to hear back if it's a 90 or 110 - and he has the key. Fingers crossed.
Oh - even better - a result it would seem! Yes, the engine ECU and the CPH do need to be matched - but the whole operation is quite simple and the tranponder aerial receiver doesn't need to be replaced either. It's all in Addo's post HERE :-D

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

pete the bus wrote:I have found a complete car for breaking on the bay - I'm just waiting to hear back if it's a 90 or 110 - and he has the key. Fingers crossed.
As to the non reading of the ecu's, yes I am not sure how or what they were connecting with. I did explain that a generic OBD reader would not work. His response was to explain that he had the equipment to do just about anything - and basically to leave him to it. 3 weeks later and I am still leaving him to it!
Unfortunately Pete - not all OBD readers / programmers are made equal - there are some elements that can only be undertaken by the 'dealer-level' diagnostic tool - which is what Diagbox/ Lexia are. This guy sounds very guarded and anyone who won't take advice or constructive criticism or even just listen to the enthusiastic owner or those that generally do know more about their cars (and their gremlins) than the mechanics is just a waste of rations. :roll:

Marc
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

I've just looked at the EBay listing again. It looks like a series 1. Did the HDI engine ever appear in a series 1 and if so would it even have a CPH?

Edit: Just seen at bottom of listing " library image used - car is same colour and shape".
I suspect it is series 2 but he has found a photo of a red series 1 and used that not knowing they are slightly different!
Last edited by pete the bus on 28 Jul 2016, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

My S2 Activa was in the state your car is. Couldnt start cos ecu couldnt be unlocked via cph. As a last resort i tried reinitialising cph via lexia and .... voila, she burst into life. Dont know why or how but if you've gone as far as you can and are thinking of replacing with a fully coded set then it could be worth a go ...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

pete the bus wrote:I've just looked at the EBay listing again. It looks like a series 1. Did the HDI engine ever appear in a series 1 and if so would it even have a CPH?
No, the HDi was on the Series 2 on - there are no Series 1 Xantia HDis listed on the service docs. Secondly, just a had a look on a series 1 and cannot see a CPH unit either - they had a Central locking Reciever box and there was no immobiliser either.

I agree 100% with Xantiamaniac - like I said, if you can get somebody with an actual Lexia to look at it and try to reinitialise it, it would save you a lot of hassle.

Marc
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

xantiamanic wrote:My S2 Activa was in the state your car is. Couldnt start cos ecu couldnt be unlocked via cph. As a last resort i tried reinitialising cph via lexia and .... voila, she burst into life. Dont know why or how but if you've gone as far as you can and are thinking of replacing with a fully coded set then it could be worth a go ...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. How did you reinitialize the CPH? My auto locksmith says the CPH does not appear on his Lexia (assuming that is what he is using).
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
pete the bus wrote:I've just looked at the EBay listing again. It looks like a series 1. Did the HDI engine ever appear in a series 1 and if so would it even have a CPH?
No, the HDi was on the Series 2 on - there are no Series 1 Xantia HDis listed on the service docs. Secondly, just a had a look on a series 1 and cannot see a CPH unit either - they had a Central locking Reciever box and there was no immobiliser either.

I agree 100% with Xantiamaniac - like I said, if you can get somebody with an actual Lexia to look at it and try to reinitialise it, it would save you a lot of hassle.
I agree. But I am in Folkestone and I don't think there's any members with one nearby. The first guy we used insisted he was using a lexia as well. He couldn't read the CPH or engine ECU either.
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

I've just messaged the auto locksmith to ask him exactly how he was connecting to the car and explaining what has been stated above . It will be interesting to see what he says.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In either case Pete - trying to get a second Lexia on it would at least confirm whether it is a problem unit or whether he has an incompatible setup / software version / hardware issue. I'd gladly help out, but I'm near the Cardigan coast!!

There are 2 in Hastings ('Brabes 1' & 'Cooking Fat') and 1 ('Duracell') in Ashford according to the Lexia Map

Marc