C5 x7 automatic daytime lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TodiCroitor
My Cars: C5 1.6 Hdi vtr+ 2009

C5 x7 automatic daytime lights

Post by TodiCroitor »

Hi,
Isn't possible when "automatic headlamp lighting" is activated during the day to have active daytime running lights?

I have a friend who has a wv Tuareg and he has an option for that. Does Citroen has something similar or Maybe a Lexia activated option ?

Thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 x7 automatic daytime lights

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Todi - First you need to have your DRLs activated with Diagbox if they aren't already. When Diagbox is first used to activate them, there are several options under Customer Options.
First Lighting by default of daytime running lamps - needs to be set to YES
Second, Simultaaneous Lighting of Daytime running lamps and sidelamps YES or NO - this option allows both the side lights and DRLs to be active at the same time or not.

Once you have the options set in Diagbox, the Dashboard menu will be activated under 'Lighting' to allow you to turn the DRLs on or off.

You cannot have the DRLs on with the main or dipped beam headlights though, regardless of whether the automatic or manual headlight activation is used - turning on the dipped or main beam lights will switch off the DRLs.

This is by design as DRLs are not supposed to be used at night - as they are generally too dazzling to oncoming drivers. The earlier C5 X7s had a single 24W bulb for the DRL and is not dimmable. Some other cars with LED DRLs switch to a dimmer setting at night so as not to be dazzling.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 x7 automatic daytime lights

Post by vborovic »

If you have DRL's working when there is no main beam, then everything is fine. The DRL's will actually work with the main beams (when dark), but will dim considerably to act as the sidelamp. If you enable the simultaneous lighting of DRLs and Sidelamps on the DRL headlamp, what will actually happen is that the DRL light won't glow as the DRL but as the sidelamp (making you less visible during daytime). Or to cut it short, without some heavy headlamp or wiring modifications (not impossible though), you can't have 100% DRL light output from the existing DRL when the main beam is on (and I don't see the point to it anyway, there is no DRL on the market that can glow better than the regular Hx bulb anyway)