C5 - issues resolved and some questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hayabusa1300r
My Cars: 03 Mk1 Renault Megane Cabriolet c/w Roadbox
96 XJR1200
84 GPz900r A1 - own
99 Hayabusa - own

C5 - issues resolved and some questions

Post by hayabusa1300r »

Hi Everyone,

C5 2.2hdi estate 2002, 112k - I've previously posted questions and had some great support, so an update on what was my "last" real bummer - no speedo or odo. I swapped the abs module and block as there was no communication, and despite searching in the UK and the rest of the world in many languages it seemed I was on my own with this one. As I had no comms with the abs Lexia couldn't help. It was suggested on here as I had no comms with it then maybe a supply / earth - bingo, no supply, alternative switched supply provided and now I have no warning lights showing, ABS / ESR / tyre pressure etc have all gone out :P and a working speedo and odometer, result!

I'm having an mot next week, and based on the cars history am fingers crossed not expecting anything horrific, which if so will see me invest some more time and money, here's a question which seems to have conflicting views on:

spheres and fluid, replace every 50k or leave forever? I'm not happy with the ride and handling, its not majic carpet, wallowy and loose, so thinking after the years and mileage its probably ready - I do all my own spannering so its parts cost only. i'd want to the rear trailing arm bushes at the same time

Thoughts appreciated.

ta John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 - issues resolved and some questions

Post by Peter.N. »

Sphere life on the C5 is generally much longer than on the previous models, I had a 2.2 estate briefly and the spheres were fine on that at 100k+ but I also had a 2.0. estate with about 180k and the spheres were pretty poor so you best do your own evaluation, bounce each corner in soft mode and you should get around 4" of movement on the rears and 2"+ on the fronts.

I had to do the trailing arm bushes on mine, not to bad providing the pins holding the push rods come out. :x

Peter
hayabusa1300r
96 XJR1200
84 GPz900r A1 - own
99 Hayabusa - own

Post by hayabusa1300r »

Thanks Peter, i'm presuming with engine running? What about suspension fluid change, does that need doing periodically?

cheers John
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you can make it to the Chevrons 2016 rally in Little Horwood - 9th ~ 11th of September you should be able to compare with other C5s - including mine as long as nothing prevents me from attending.
The Recreation Ground
Church St.
Little Horwood.
Milton Keynes
Bucks MK17 0PF.

I have never been terribly pleased with mine, nor the previous one*. In comparison to the GS, BX and Xantia (sinker) it isn't that great.
That said it is better than the competition and surprisingly 'sticky'.

*Estate - once I loaded it up to the gills with MDF - overloaded actually. Only travelled a short distance but over many a speed bump.
For the next three days the suspension was much, much softer and more compliant. It then gradually reverted to 'normal'.

Click image for larger ones.
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

I know LHM is about 70k but not sure on LDS, plus the electric nature of the c5 makes changing it a lexia job doesnt it?

Are the rear arms stiff? As they dont seem to have a lifespan as such and as far as i know they seem to wear out gradually. If you have the tools, time and parts its worth doing as long as everything comes loose!
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
hayabusa1300r
96 XJR1200
84 GPz900r A1 - own
99 Hayabusa - own

Post by hayabusa1300r »

Thanks, will put the rally in my diary! I don't know if the rear arms are stiff, however the car wonders and I'm just starting to get a clonk ergo bushes? don't think you need a lexia for a fluid change, however if it doesn't get slaughtered on the mot i'll be getting a lexia anyhows

cheers
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As far as I am aware there is no time/distance specified for LDS replacement, merely that it is inspected after five years.
There are (I'm told) bleed points at the front and rear.

Can be done without a Lexia but only a Lexia can completely depressurise the system - drops the car lower than the lowest selectable height - right to the bump stops I believe.

I may well be deluding myself but do frequent 'Citroebics', partly to exercise the rams and trailing arm bearings and also the pump motor to help keep it free from corrosion.

I do have a bad rattle from the rear but no 'cracking' sounds that speed bumps will often produce when the trailing arm bearings are failing.
Having asked the mechanic and the MOT station to do their worst there was/is no problem with the bearings - it is the brake pads clattering around - no anti-rattle springs.
May fix that one day :rolleyes: