Activa dropping at the front

Contains the Activa Register, Buyers Guide and Activa "finds" on eBay and elsewhere. Post Activa-specific items that do not fall naturally into the Citroen Forum.

Moderator: RichardW

KP

Activa dropping at the front

Post by KP »

In the last week my activa has slowly and worsely started dropping at the front.

Initially it was overnight but now if the car is parked up for an hour it drops :(

The ride is soft at the front (the rear has always been stiff) so I'm starting to think that one of the front spheres has punctured.

I had been thinking for a while to go to westroen and get the rear end spheres done but now I'm thinking of taking an afternoon and getting the whole lot done unless I have a really bad strut leakage which I'm guessing I can only tell by taking off return pipes :(
Along these lines does anyone have or know of a diagram showing which return hose is which when they get to the lhm tank?
bencowell

Re: Activa dropping at the front

Post by bencowell »

Mine varies whether it decides to drop on all 4 wheels, the 2 rears or just one corner. I'm thinking the same as you.

David Hallworth (member on here) suggests it's probably a flat sphere somewhere. I was thinking of changing all the spheres as they appear to be a mixture of refilled and miscellaneous spheres on the car.

I've just had a vet's bill so the Activa will have to wait a month!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
KP

Post by KP »

Well it's £300 from westroen for all 10 which isn't too bad really when I work out it would probably be a day of time for me on my back wrestling some of the worst ones out! I may get under the car and remove the spare wheel carrier though as I know that makes life easier :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Will, see if it drops in the same way when the suspension is set high. If it then stays up then wear in the struts may be the cause...

Spheres are worth checking but they are unlikely culprits, especially if the front is soft when it should be and switches hard normally..

Anti-sink valves are normally very reliable and can be ruled out of the suspension stays up from high...

I had this exact problem on a 110HDi I had... Checked everything and in the end concluded it was wear in the struts.. It stayed up from high for ever...

It also went on quite happily for 10 of thousands of miles like it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP

Post by KP »

Drops like a Xantia exhaust backbox when the normal joint rot occurs :D
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)

Post by Stickyfinger »

Drops like a Brian May in the crosshairs
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Drops like the atmosphere in a crowded lift when somebody lets one rip loudly (and, now, like the tone of this post)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Drops like flat centre sphere... Check that one first Will...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP

Post by KP »

Think I'll just bite the bullet as I know all the other spheres are getting on and the rear corners are gone as in hard mode it's rock hard so will maybe see about comfort rears as well...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

At the rear your best bet is Hydractive Xantia Estate ones are best Will... It's what I use on mine.
Jim

xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Unlike Jim, I dislike the under-damped ride given by estate rear spheres, good original spheres are best if you do any spirited driving.

I am also not understanding the theory that a sinking suspension cash be caused by flat spheres. When the suspension sinks, the LHM must be finding its way back to the tank, and I am sure that it isn't getting there via a sphere.
KP

Post by KP »

It's French, we know a front blower motor failure can also cause a heated rear window failure... there's no logic to it but when quaffing cheese, garlic and red everything can make sense lol
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantiav6 wrote:Unlike Jim, I dislike the under-damped ride given by estate rear spheres, good original spheres are best if you do any spirited driving.
As you all know, I don't do spirited driving. I love an Activa because I cannot tolerate body roll in any form whatsoever, not for how fast it can corner, so my requirement is for comfort. Estate rears give me that.

Personally, in the case of the problem you have Will, I'd always exclude spheres from enquiries as a first action as flat/ruptured ones can do strange things, especially on an Activa..

As I said in an earlier post in this thread I very much doubt it is a sphere but do check them...
Jim

KP

Post by KP »

The only other things I can think of would be a scored strut that's allowing leak by as the seal can't seal it properly or the front version of the anti sink valve or such isn't shutting when powered off :(
KP

Post by KP »

Looking around and found this...

Now I don't have a leak but was wondering if it could be the culprit?

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 9&p=315461