Rear door on c5 exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gordonstuart
My Cars: Citroen c5 exclusive tourer auto

Rear door on c5 exclusive

Post by Gordonstuart »

Hello there :)
I own a c5 exclusive tourer est 2.0 hdi auto
The rear door is automatic but only works 50% of the time, which can be annoying because when it decides not to work... You have to force it shut or open and battling the resistance just feels wrong but there's no other options.
Does anyone know what might be causing this?
The problem has been around for a year... Not getting any worse. Sometimes it works every time and I think it's cured itself.. Wishful thinking hehe!!
Any help would be much appreciated.
Gord :wink:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Rear door on c5 exclusive

Post by Stickyfinger »

Eco mode ?, eg battery save mode.....when did you last have a new battery fitted ?
Do you always do short runs (mostly)

I generally start the car first if it does not open rather than force it. Slow even pressure if you have to.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'm guessing you mean the tailgate on the 2008 on C5? Mine also exhibits that problem from time to time and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of reasons

A sticky says - Eco mode. This can be caused by a number of things - leaving the radio on, leaving a door open (light on), not having driven enough miles since the last Eco mode to reset the "counter".
I also find that I can only use the powered option a couple of times before the BSI says enough - presumably to save the battery. This may be because the battery is less than perfect - they seem to be particularly finicky about this.

If the release button does just that and no more on a closed tailgate then lift the tailgate up a bit and, if the motor is still engaged, a little more. This will cause the motor to let go and then you can lift the tailgate up almost normally.

If you've left the tailgate open and it won't close electrically pull it down a little against the resistance until the motor disengages and then you can close it manually.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gordonstuart
My Cars: Citroen c5 exclusive tourer auto

Post by Gordonstuart »

Hi there, thanks for the info chaps .
Eco is very over the top I think... Radio shuts off after 2mins lol
Had a brand new Bosch battery fitted recently, but I will play around tomorrow and figure it out.. Cheers
grassan
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2008 Exclusive 2.0HDI

Post by grassan »

I am having the same problem. I installed a new battery. It worked for a while (2-3 months) and now the tailgate doesn't open all the time if I don't drive the car enough. I put very few miles on the car so it's often sitting in the garage. I purchased the next to most powerful battery I could find but didn't go all out and get the most powerful battery. Is this the problem ? Is there anything else I can do to elimiate this fustrating issue with the tailgate not opening automatically ?