C5 2.2HDI - DPF temp. sensors inaccurate?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mwj666
My Cars: In no particular order :-

Mk2 XM V6 Exclusive (holds the record for longest I have ever owned a car, currently 15 years and counting, and not hit 100k miles yet!)

XM 2.0 turbo
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
6 assorted CX estates
CX25 GTI Turbo 2, God that was *FUN*
2 x BX (19 and 19GTI)
1 x Xantia 2 litre estate
3 x AX GT
2 x Saxo VTR
Pug 206 Quicksilver - nice car but whoever invented DPFs should be shot!

C5 2.2HDI - DPF temp. sensors inaccurate?

Post by mwj666 »

Hi all,

Another query from giving my GFs 2.2 HDI the once over on Lexia yesterday...

Even though the engine had been stopped for about 2 hours, both the upstream *and* downstream temperature sensors for the DPF said 104 degrees, though I'd have expected them to be more or less ambient temperature (about 17 degrees)

On starting the engine, the temperatures rise - but of course I have no idea whether what they are reading is correct or 100 degrees out, and presumably if they are way off beam that will muck up fuelling ratios and also the dreaded DPF regens as even tho' the car *thinks* the DPF is hot enough it won't be :-(

It seems an odd coincidence that if both sensors had failed they would register the same temperature - so does anyone know if the '104 degrees' is the 'baseline' temperature for these sensors ie they are incapable of going below 104 degrees, or are they in need of replacement (AFAIK they are still the 14 year old originals)?

If they are scrap - does anyone know a source for them (other than silly-prices Citroen)? I'm struggling to find aftermarket suppliers, which seems odd as there must be millions of diesel cars out there with these things fitted

Thanks,
Martin
1998 XM V6 Exclusive - one of the 5 still on the road :-D
2002 C5 2.2HDI estate
2008 Alfa 147 Ducati Corse. Yes I know - traitor - but its FUN! Slower than the XM tho
dnsey

Re: C5 2.2HDI - DPF temp. sensors inaccurate?

Post by dnsey »

I have a similar problem on my 2.0 - the downstream sensor has failed.
In my case, it's reading a permanent 308 degrees, which is near enough the default.
Doing a bit of research, I'm coming to the conclusion that there are only a handful of different sensors, with different connectors according to model.
Thinking aloud, I wonder if you could use soap (as when judging metal temperature for hardening etc) to judge the actual temp when hot, and compare that with the sensor reading?
Edit: mine registered a 'depollution fault' as soon as it failed, so yours may well be OK.
mwj666
My Cars: In no particular order :-

Mk2 XM V6 Exclusive (holds the record for longest I have ever owned a car, currently 15 years and counting, and not hit 100k miles yet!)

XM 2.0 turbo
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
6 assorted CX estates
CX25 GTI Turbo 2, God that was *FUN*
2 x BX (19 and 19GTI)
1 x Xantia 2 litre estate
3 x AX GT
2 x Saxo VTR
Pug 206 Quicksilver - nice car but whoever invented DPFs should be shot!

Post by mwj666 »

first thing - my mistake, the sensors are of course upstream and downstream of the cat, not the DPF, all thats downstream of the DPF is the pressure sensor pipe.

Looks like the Citroen part numbers (for the 2.2 anyway) are 1628 VZ (upstream) and either 1628RX or 1618 LW (downstream depending on your RP number) - but hanged if I can find any generics that say they will fit :-(

Still none the wiser about whether they are b*ggered or if 104 degrees is the lowest they can measure given thats what they say when the engine is stone cold. Some generic sensors don't go below 200 degrees, some say they go from about -40 upwards

Research continues - and its been throwing out antipollution messages for a while ... rather a lot less so mind you after I took a pressure washer to the damn thing, which I had to do in situ (front end up on ramps, split centre joint, drop back of DPF to put it on a slope and remove the front EGTS to provide a drain the otehr side of the DPF) as I'm damned if I can shift the nuts attaching the DPF to the cat and they are welded into the cat and didn't want to risk shearing them :roll:

Very tempted to just drill some holes through the damn' thing but that makes it complain as well unless you spend £lots on an ECU re-programme

I am *SO* happy that the XM is petrol :-D
1998 XM V6 Exclusive - one of the 5 still on the road :-D
2002 C5 2.2HDI estate
2008 Alfa 147 Ducati Corse. Yes I know - traitor - but its FUN! Slower than the XM tho
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

mwj666 wrote:Very tempted to just drill some holes through the damn' thing but that makes it complain as well unless you spend £lots on an ECU re-programme
Don't forget the likely new tests coming in to check for DPF removal 2017 /18:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... PF#p487852

...and it is now deemed illegal if removed (quote from Gov.UK):

"Some firms offer services to remove the filter, claiming it will improve the economy. But it is an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, as it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when it was approved for sale in the UK".
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc