C5 MK1 Radio system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PC2CV
My Cars: 1986 305 1.6 Automatic
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

C5 MK1 Radio system

Post by PC2CV »

Just a general question about what the C5 MK1's entertainment system can do and what people have done with it. I see in the glovebox an RCA connector. Has anyone put one of those multimedia boxes into a C5 before, any interesting ideas?

Would this work on a MK1?
http://www.accessories.citroen.co.uk/na ... ageSize=10

Also, what can this old system do in terms of interfacing with a phone, I have a connects 2 Bluetooth system taking the place of my CD changer in the 406 quite good other than the fact it doesn't always automatically connect/pair. Was the RT2 head unit that a sim card pushed into any good on these cars?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 MK1 Radio system

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It would help if you posted the exact Head Unit and options for your C5 or better still the VIN. There were several audio systems fitted to this model and on top of that additional options.
I suspect for the SE you will have the Siemens VDO system, but regardless, it is a bit limited for connectivity now. No bluetooth connection, no USB connectivity. Although there is an RCA AUX input in the glovebox, which will play Audio / Video from a camera or other source, there it absolutely no control over the audio tracks. A bit pointless unless you had a playlist and just left it to continuously play.

There may be an Ezi DAB or equivalent accessory that you can fit - the Siemens VDO are listed as compatible, which will allow additional devices to connect to the EZI DAB unit and from there will be output via the car's audio system. The one in your link is the AutoDAB - which says is also compatible - but that's about it only for DAB so not much point if you want additional connectivity to iPads and iPhones and Bluetooth etc.

Can't speak for your Mark 1 C5, but I had the RT3 Navidrive on my Mark II and the telephone worked perfectly, as did SMS text messaging (receive AND send), albeit the voice sounding like Mercedes McCambridge (Regan in the Excorcist) after a few bottles of whisky.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
PC2CV
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Post by PC2CV »

My C5's VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], although im not sure if its an SE anymore from the ABS pump thread.

This is the interior of my C5 (a few years before i got it when it was cleaner)

Im more interested to know what options were available at the time on the C5 above what mine got, purely nerding out on 2001 specs, this headunit looks quite interesting:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've got a printout of all your specs at the following link (a PDF) in case you're interested:

https://mega.nz/#!vxlDXAzb!1DhwrCAHgyiJ ... WRAcLxqgRU

If I understand you correctly - the top picture is your C5 and the bottom one is another head unit you have seen.
For your car, there were 3 categories:
  • RB2 Radio Receiver with mechanical cassette player
  • RD2 Radio Receiver with Compact Disc Player
  • RT2 Radio Reciever with GSM Telephone
You have (top picture) the RD2 system
The bottom one is the RT2 unit.

All three have in common the radio / music display showing on the multifunction display, the audio commands integrated into the steering wheel & compatibility with a CD Changer.

The RT2 radio also has an integrated display for displaying the radiotelephone function. Note: Citroen say you cannot fit an aftermarket CD Changer - the only one compatible is the 6 Discc changer supplied by them.

I believe there was also the AutoPC system as an option - this was the micro computer in the dash that had the Intel Pentium MMX 166 MHz processor ( :shock: ) and MS Windows CE 2.1 user system.
AutoPC groups the following functions :
Multifunction screen information, Radio reception, CD and CD-ROM mono player, 6 CD changer, Navigation, Hands-free telephone (single band GSM), Sending and receiving text messages (SMS).

Additional uses of AutoPC:
Word and voice synthesiser recognition, Address book, Recording from any audio source, Traffic Message Channel: Road traffic text information in real time, Playing of CD-ROMs, USB port for connecting external peripherals, Data transfer on CompactFlash card, Data transfer by infrared port (IrDA), Voice memos.

Was this the sort of thing you wanted? :-D
PS - 3.0i V6 24V 210... lovely car and I bet it goes like s**t off a shovel :-D

Marc
PC2CV
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Post by PC2CV »

Thanks Marc

Couldnt quite open that link or PDF? I do know my way round citroen service/peugeot servicebox is this vehicle characteristics off the VIN?

RT2 then sounds like the job, get a good full sized sim in and drive about in a mobile phone haha.

The windows CE sounds interesting, albeit terribly obsolete, would be interesting if someone had one, its just great to see what is now possibly retro tech working. I think i have the Dayton sat nav system in this car, at the moment it doesnt seem to be able to pick up any satelites but a replacement aeriel came with the car.

Yes the 3.0 V6 is a fine engine, just got a bit fed up with manual diesels. Havent pushed it too hard, seems reasonably quick, presumably oil, filters and plugs will make a difference. What i can say is the noise it makes is amazing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - the Service doc info - wasn't sure if you had it - so just ignore in that case :wink: I was going to say you just select the second option to download in browser.

Satellite issue could be water ingress through the roof aerial - running down and corroding aerial wires.

Re the AutoPC - all that early tech more or less ended up in the Magneti Marelli RT3 system that I had - apart from the USB. The RT3 has all the SMS features, Nav, Aux, Infra Red for transferring data. I did actually have a USB IR receiver / sender to try and transfer my contacts from my old phone:- firstly copied contact from phone cable to Laptop using converter software, then tried via the IR transmitter to the RT3 Head unit and on to the SIM card of the RT3. Needless to say that was a complete waste of rations and a huge faff - but had to be done in the name of 'I am determined this is going to work' - not!

The only common issue I'm aware of on those petrol C5s is the HP fuel pump - they seem to be as rare as hens teeth to get hold of if they go - so kid gloves needed!

Marc
PC2CV
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Post by PC2CV »

Yup i know my way round them, odd clips and bits of trim its a very useful service. Thanks nonetheless for checking it up!

Need to get a look at the old aeriel, sounds very plausable, at the moment the rest of the interior is out cleaned and drying. Then there is the issue if they still updated this system?, there is a button which says Traffic master.

Im just interested in this old tech, a few years back i got all the parts and retrofitted the monochrome navigation system to the 406, a truly hopeless system especially in northern Ireland but interesting fitting it nonetheless.

The RT3 is for the facelifted C5? Seen a picture somewhere on google of an RT3 in a pre facelift MK1.
Ill probably just stick in a connects 2 bluetooth unit which works fine enough and a multimedia box in the glovebox to enjoy that big LCD screen (Seems such a novelty), was there a reversing camera option?

HP fuel pump on the V6? I was hoping the ES9J4S wasnt too bad, being shared with the 406 coupe, laguna and a raft of other french cars. Its all a learning experience!
PC2CV
1996 406 2.1 LX
2013 C4 1.6 HDi

Post by PC2CV »

Was the RT2 system ever offered as an option in the UK on MK1 C5's?

I bought a 2001 brochure but there is no mention of it (perhaps 2002-04 had it?)
The only ones for sale on ebay are located over in LHD countries.