C5 air bag wiring ID

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bnd
My Cars: Various types

C5 air bag wiring ID

Post by bnd »

Hello fellow Citroen Owners

I have searched the site for all the info I can find on common faults the bring the air bag light on in the C5. (I have a 2003 1.8 petrol model)

I have found a lot of info regarding curing the common faults and things to do to get the light to go out.

I have discovered in my case the light comes on everytime I have a front passanger. So in my case its the ritual of wriggling all the wires below the polystyrene plate in the passanger front foot well and low and behold the light goes out.

As im tiring of this, I wish to solder the wires for a permanent joint. Does anyone know which wires are actually affiliated to the air bag, or is it all 4 joints? If its just one joint what colours are the wires ?

Pointless soldering them all if its only one.

Thank you.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 air bag wiring ID

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would be inclined to solder all 4 wires. One join having failed, what is to stop the others following suit at a later date? Just make sure to disconnect the battery first, and wait for half an hour before soldering. Do NOT use a multi meter to test, as it is possible that this could set off the airbag.

Once the airbag is working again, make sure to run through the BSi reset routine. There are a LOT of electronics in the C5, and you should go through a reset routine when you disconnect the battery. However, you don't want to do too much messing about when you are dealing with the airbags. Here is the BSi reset routine;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407

Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way. :welc:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bnd

Post by bnd »

Thank you so much James. The Bsi link makes very interesting reading.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes do both connectors , both of them are for the airbag, the C5 has twin detonators in the airbag & it can trigger either one depending on the severity of the impact to give different levels of 'cushioning' .
They are both the same types of connector anyway so both will give trouble at some point.
bnd

Post by bnd »

Thank to all involved.

After much searching the site I found the following thread which tells you the actual colours of the wiring affilliated to the air bags.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=36091