LPG filler and stupidity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter1138
My Cars:

LPG filler and stupidity

Post by peter1138 »

I undid my LPG filler cover today and to my surprise I found half of the valve still stuck to the cap. Tried as I could, I couldn't get the now free metal part off the filler cap, so I decided to give up til I had some tools.
However, in the filler there is a sprung part and a small piece of metal that had come out. Now, in the absense of said tools, I couldn't put this back in either, so I put the filler cap back on and carried on, on my way.
Now, you can guess this bit as it's too obvious: I unscrewed the filler cap, and it came off as it normally should. Without halve of the valve. So now I'm stuck with a filler with part of the valve not inside it. This is a problem.
So, I thought, I'd try to fit it. Try as I might, the part that unscrewed earlier, with the cap, will now not unscrew. So I took a screwdriver to the four screws around the filler, thinking it might come apart. How wrong I was. Not only did it not come apart, the screws now do not bite. Presumably what they were screwed into is not fixed inside, and I'm screwed.
I now have the problem of getting inside the rear wing, I think, to reposition the part that's been moved. Is this actually possible? What parts do I have to remove to get at the damned thing? I've tried going in via the boot, but the carpet is in no way flexible and it looks like there's metal in the way anyway.
Help!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Having had an LPG fitted car back in ancient time - your description scares me a bit.
I suspect that something has broken in the valve - as it should never come apart removing the blanking cap. Then a couple of bits might even be missing.
And then it won't help you to dismantle the filler valve - in fact the opposite might happen : you encounter even more functional problems during disassembly.
I would not try fiddle with the filler valve - as it's so important it functions properly. It's not just a petrol tank cap.
To say it straight : unless you're highly skilled with LPG installations on cars - you should never DIY fiddle with it.
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

Well, I did manage to fix it a while ago.
For reference to others, the LPG assembly is accessible via the wheel arch, which can be removed easily with three... plug clips (forgotten the name of them).
The valve was put together by filling it up, whereupon the metal part that had come out previous got very cold and shrunk, so I could unscrew it and put the valve part back in.