Cit C4 squeaking noise?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Cit C4 squeaking noise?

Post by 411514 »

Hi all, I am looking for some assistance with a bit of a head-scratcher.

The other half has a 2006 C4 1.6 16v petrol hatch. Problem is a very annoying squeak (apparently from the suspension) which occurs only when the car (engine) is hot.

Squeak only begins once the engine is fully warmed up (after approx. twenty minutes of driving) before then there is no noise at all. The squeak is then really prominent over mid size lumps and bumps. The noise appears to be coming from front right/central area of car.

My initial thought was that it may be the exhaust moving on its mount, but I have checked lower donut engine mount and there is no play, and I disassembled and greased (rather stupidly) the joint between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. Moreover, the noise does not occur when pulling away, and is not dependent on engine load as you might expect with bad lower mount.

Given that it only occurs when warm, my next though was strut top as I guess this area may tend to heat up when the engine warms. I changed front right strut top and greased liberally but the noise is absolutely unchanged.

Has anyone else ever come across this before. Over a rough surface the noise is a constant up and down pitch squeak, almost like a squeaky door being opened and closed constantly. Actually, (sounds stupid to say) the noise is exactly like a coil spring being loaded and unloaded.

I can only recreate the noise when stopped with a person sat in the car and me bouncing on the front of the car, when the noise really appears to emanate from the front right (drivers) side strut or arm area.

For information, both lower ball joints, both drop links, and front left lower arm are no more than six months old and decent quality. I have been under the car on several occasions with a pry bar and cannot find any play in any component. But as mentioned, when the engine is cold there is no noise at all. Not until engine has been hot for a good ten minutes or so does the noise start. The onset of the noise is pretty sudden, within a minute at around the twenty minutes of driving point it goes from no noise at all even over large bumps to constant squeaking even over relatively small bumps. I guess that this would suggest heat soak into a component, but where? I suppose the obvious answer would be damper and/or spring, but surely these components would not be appreciably heated by the engine.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks, Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Re: Cit C4 squeaking noise?

Post by Fake Concern »

I know various diesel versions of the C4 tend to suffer from a squeeky exhaust heat shield, is one fitted to your petrol engined car?
Try squirting likely places with WD40 until it makes a difference maybe.
Could be exhaust springs, bolts & o rings apparently common on 1.6 petrol according to C4Owners

Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

Thank for reply.

It does have various heat shields but I am convinced it is not them. I have poked and prodded and they all appear secure.

I have got hold of the replacement fixing screws and gasket etc and will fit these and see if that solves the noise. I must admit I am a little sceptical as the noise appears to come more from the suspension, but I have already tried all the obvious suspects to no avail.

I shall report back with results in due course if a solution is found.

Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
(Donor 2017)

Post by 411514 »

Update, turned out the source of the squeak was the right front lower ball joint, despite being only six months old (Lemfoerder).

This was a bit of an odd one, particularly as the squeak appeared to occur only when the engine was hot. In fact, the ball joint was probably being heated by the brake disc (despite the heat shield being in place). When I have had ball joints fail in the past they usually seem to result in knocking noises rather than squeaks, and so the ball joint was really one of the last suspects. Only diagnosed by piercing the rubber boot and spraying wd40 inside.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Strange! Glad you've got it sorted.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007