Xantia V6 Usage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Xantia V6 Usage

Post by momag46 »

Hi V6 Xantia fans

Just a general inquiry; are V6's being used much?

Are they all second/third+++ car?
How many are used as the daily runabout?
Are they just used for shows/meetings?
Are they being stored?
What is the average yearly mileage?
Are they driven hard?
How many are on SORN?
What is the average yearly cost of ownership?

Just interested that's all - my'n is used for shows & meetings then becomes a runabout for a week or two. It's then in the garage till the next show/meeting.
Yearly mileage is between 1k & 2k.
I enjoy driving it and using the performance, especially the acceleration.
Yearly cost has averaged out at £310 (over 3½ years)

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia V6 Usage

Post by Mandrake »

Mine is my only car, so is a daily driver that gets used for everything from milk runs, trips to the train station or local dump and occasional longer trips on the motorway.

I'm averaging about 5k miles a year at the moment and the car has done 75k total. I had been driving to a train station daily but I am now getting the bus instead so apart from occasional grocery trips it may not see much if any use during the work week now.

It lives outdoors unfortunately, although I have a garage it has never been empty enough to try driving it in... :-D

It sometimes gets driven fairly hard as I do enjoy the performance of the car (after all, why buy a V6 if you're not going to use it ?) but it also gets driven gently quite often, especially when there is a 3 month old in the back...

Yearly cost of ownership is hard to estimate as I have not really kept track. I only average about 20mpg because 90% of my driving is pottering around locally so fuel is probably the biggest cost. It has not needed much in the way of repairs, certainly nothing expensive, however it is now due 4 new tyres which will set me back around £400 as it has been limping by on fairly old crappy tyres since I first got it nearly 2 years ago and new tires can't be delayed any longer. I put 2 second hand tyres on for the last MOT but they too are now almost at the end of their tether...

However I figure that a new set of tyres will last me years at 5k a year so I almost certainly won't have to change them again, even assuming I keep the car a few more years, which I probably will!

It has let me down once with a wiring fault in the infamous under radiator bundle of wires, but other than that it has been reliable and has only needed normal catch up maintenance and a little TLC.
Last edited by Mandrake on 29 Jun 2016, 11:16, edited 3 times in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I ran one as a daily driver up until two years ago... Then I sold it on...

I ran a number of them like that for around five years..

Average yearly mileage was only about 5,000 miles..

Never driven hard...

I found mine to be reliable although statistically the V6 was the most unreliable car I ever ran... One failed with a duff ignition coil and another had a fatal LHM leak. Both needed to be recovered home..

Touch-wood no other Xantia has let me down and I've had enough of them over the years...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

? reliable .....No comment, no way am I tempting fate (follow the thread as the Activa cannot read English)
Activa V6 version
2nd/3rd car
I try only to use it for fun and shows
I try only to go shopping in the Kia Slurry Skipper/C5
I work the C5, I value the relaxing drive and lack of wind noise. The C5x7 is a more comfortable car by a large margin
Last year 4.5K....oops
Mainly driven 50/50 reasonable/hard
Live mainly in the garage, not really worried about summer wet, parked up in the winter
Running cost, who knows

Lastly............LOVE IT !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Should have said Running Costs are good for a 3.0 V6.. Fuel economy is surprisingly good...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Hi again

I've not included fuel in the running cost at the first post - I'm doing between 20 & 22, long runs about 25 unless I have a 'play' :-D, pottering about could be down around the 20.

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

From 2004 until 2013, I had a Xantia V6 as my main car, for the first 18 months I was commuting 500 miles a week, then I moved closer to work. But we then started taking it on 1000 mile round trips to France 4 or 5 times a year.

In 140,000 miles, it only required normal maintenance, plus
A new radiator
A heater matrix,
A couple of coolant header tanks
An A/C condenser
A couple of exhaust systems
A few wheel bearings
a transmission selector switch,
a transmission overhaul.

I then moved to France and bought a much more sensible XM V6, which has required nothing more than scheduled maintenance.

It is too early to say how reliable my recently acquired Xantia V6 will be, but we shall see...
fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Hi Maurice.
I've owned mine just under a year now, it was purchased from Ebay for the ridiculous sum of under £250 ( i think it was something like £243.03p) that won the auction. My car is my "weekend" mode of transport, having a works van available 24/7 gives the V6 breathing time, or i would drive it every opportunity :-D :-D .
the average miles is going to work out at just under 3k .
Economy and V6 is a bit of an oxymoron, as is American intelligence/ French hospitality/etc/etc (don't get me started lol ) but needless to say i get around 15-20 around the doors, and about 27 on a run ( including the heavy right foot !!) :oops: :oops: but as far as i'm concerned that's an ok economy :) :)
Reliability, the car is ok apart from a recurring hydraulic pump seal constantly leaking , i purchased the car with an ignition fault/misfire, but a coil pack has sorted that out.
Generally i'm a happy bunny with mine ( cant smile wide enough when driving it ) no doubt as it grows older more maintenance will rear its head.
I look on my car as a usable/work in progress car :) no where near show-able lol.

Regards Paul
1995 Xantia VSX 1.9 TD, RIP
N*ssan Pr*mera . HATING EVERY MILE
1994 Xantia LX 1.9TD, RIP
1997 Xantia desire 2 re-homed
2002 Pugeot 307 HDI (not quite a Xantia, but still French)