Peogeot advice.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Peogeot advice.

Post by qprdude »

My Citroen C5 is due an MOT and I always start thinking of alternatives around this time. Mainly because after 4 years of relatively trouble free motoring and the recent expiry of a 4 year warranty, I worry a little about expensive suspension and electrical repairs which are almost sure to need addressing in future.
Having looked at almost every possible alternative, I'm kind of drawn to the Peugeot 508
Any advice would be gratefully received, although I will take a bit of persuading to part with the C5, unless I can replace it with a decent cruiser. My problem is, it has just about everything.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Peogeot advice.

Post by Stickyfinger »

Spend the money on remedial/preventative action.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Could be an option depending on outlay, but after 4 years, I'd probably like a shiny new(er) toy. I know I probably won't get a lot of the extras I have on the C5, but the 2.2 engine ain't cheap to run, and when I see similar size and performance cars with £30 road fund compared to my £210, I think that's nearly my insurance saved!. I average 33 mpg in town, and only 44 mpg on longer journey's and being a thrifty Scot (as you know), it pains me greatly.
If I dare say it on this forum, I also like the look of the VW CC ,but a low miler may be beyond of my meagre budget.
Rick.

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

You only get 44mpg on a run? If I stick to the speed limits I can get 50mpg out of the 3.0 HDi!!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Always fully laden on long trips and the 2.2 is reputedly the thirstiest of the Lumps. Speed limits? Err.
Rick.

leocitroen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0Hdi 165, 09/2012, Automatic, Exclusive, Bourrasque Blau

Post by leocitroen »

Here's a tip ..
If you drove four years c5 with Hydractive suspension, and now you want to sell it, then your driving experience is totally incomplete, (my opinion).
Peugeot 508 is Citroen C5 without Hydractive suspension, (my opinion :arrow: ).
You say you are worried about the cost of services .. then do not think about VW CC, definitely more expensive to maintain than c5 with Hydractive suspension.
P.S. You asked for any advice: Spend the money on remedial/preventative action... or Buy recent C5 2.0 HDI + h3 and continue to enjoy the ride.
Cheers :)
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Would love to, but the cheapest recent (2014) C5 with Hydractive 3+ is £18900 (44591 BaM)! (and it is brown!)
I'm a pensioner!
Rick.

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

qprdude wrote:Would love to, but the cheapest recent (2014) C5 with Hydractive 3+ is £18900 (44591 BaM)! (and it is brown!)
I'm a pensioner!

Then you don't need a car, use your bus pass. :-D rent a car when needs must.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Ha.. 4 buses a day from the village. Good half mile walk to the regular bus into town. Pensioners need cars more than kids who are more mobile but won't bother their a***s to walk a few feet. Neighbours have 4 cars, and the kids park as close to their house as possible to avoid a 5 metre walk, even when it means they block the bleedin street and pavement. We do use the bus quite a lot but getting bags of garden compost etc. home on the bus ain't a lot of fun! We also have bikes for summertime but again, just for exercise. I did actually consider having a cheap little run around and hiring for long trips, but we have 5 grandchildren who occasionally need transporting around. Apart from that, I love my cars, always have done. Big , comfy and with plenty toys. Bit of Ooomph is also good. We mostly get our shopping delivered now, but as there is no bus to the nearest Waitrose (or any shop),when mid-shop supplies are required, the car is the only way.
Oh, and I will never ever ever travel from Surrey to Aberdeen with two full suitcases and other stuff, in SWMBO'S Clio. (Besides, it's petrol, and not a lot better than mine on mpg)
Rick.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When the supply of XMs ran out I got a C5, not impressed compared with the XM so I am now running 406 Hdi's brilliant car, never go wrong, don't ride quite as well as the C5 but handle much much better.

Peter