Dispatch 2Hdi Mystery problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Dispatch 2Hdi Mystery problem

Post by Sean602 »

Hi folks got a quick question for the hive mind.
Citroen dispatch 2l hdi enterprise (Mk 2) never had any problems but today threw a spanner in the works

Started fine set off on morning drive got about 1/4 mile then it stopped/ stalled pulling out a junction. No warning lights no engine managment light just stalled . Wouldnt start everything lit up fine turned over fine just no fireup. Sat for 10 mins making phone calls etc then it started fine so it drove 1/4 mile home ( took the ever reliable 2cv out to work)

This evening started fine idled fine i cleaned out the sensors in the intake sat at idle for a good 15 mins then cut out. Re started this time with no problem
when it cut out there was a click from a relay then the rest of the relays clicked off like a normal switch off hard to say if the initial click was the switch of or the result of something else causing switch off.

February saw a similar problem frosty mornings were a reluctant start fitted a new battery which didnt help the situation the van would start, run slightly rough and after about 1/2 mile had a slight hesitation as if something was switching always faultless after this . Took it in to a friend who runs a Citroen specific garage ( Harpers, Argyll st G'gow) to do the glow plugs but all were found to be fine relay working etc etc.

In my mind they seem to be related as it occurs just after start and just as things start to warm - could it be a dodgy glow plug relay? would a faulty relay cause the engine to switch off?

Any suggestions folks
Thanks
Sean
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Dispatch 2Hdi Mystery problem

Post by spider »

This sounds like a failing lift pump (in tank lift pump around sender a bit like petrol engines) or the 'tachy' relay (the double relay) is starting to die. This is usually found not far away from the engine ECU in most cases. I'm not 100% sure where it is on your van however.

I'd half expect a code if the pump had failed (I'm not 100% sure on this) however if the relay failed intermittently there may not be any code, at best it would say something like "ECU power supply" if anything.

It won't be the glowplug relay unless this is connected to somehow the double relay or ECU power supply etc.

Regarding the glowplugs themselves: The plugs are not really used much on HDi engines except when its very cold (as in below 0) and although they have 'post heating' (the plugs are energized for a short time during cold initial running) this is not essential to making it "run" , its more to help keep emissions down as well as slightly smoother running. What I am really saying is "once its fired and is actually running, the glow plugs are completely irrelevant"

The click makes me suspect the relay or its wiring is at fault personally. Its also a lot cheaper than the lift pump too. Not to be confused with the high-pressure injection pump (more accurately just a high pressure pump really) , the lift pump simply supplies fuel to the engine bay (to the high pressure pump via the filter)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sean602
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

easiest first . replacing the fuel filter as its overdue, apparently there is fuel pressure sensors that will shut the engine down if outside parameters. £3 worth a punt as they say

Thanks for the reply Andy ill certainly look for evidence of failing lift pump in the fuel bowl and will look out the tach relay.
kissing the lash
orange 2cv
red Dyane( in bits)
Sean602
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

Sorted, was indeed a clogged filter it was actually grey and slimey to touch water?
Big thanks to Ronnie at Hidden Lane Garage ( formerly Graham Harpers)
kissing the lash
orange 2cv
red Dyane( in bits)
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Thanks for posting back. :)

The slime is a build up you can sometimes get. The sender pickup in the tank may also be starting to clog with this.

It would be prudent at some point in the near future to remove the sender from the tank if you can and check its not coated with said slime too. It has a filter mesh (sort of) around the pick up / pump in the tank itself.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sean602
My Cars:

Post by Sean602 »

mystery problem back
Cuts out just as the needle starts to rise on the temp sensor...ok new switch everything fine for a few days - then un drivable again. OBD fault recorded with throttle pedal position sensor - changed that, ran like a dream for 3 days oh how happy i love this van... then today started drove to a car park jumped in with boss to go to another job and on return dead van, no engine light with ignition - everything else works temp needle started flicking back and forth before resting . Disconnected battery for 5 to give it time to think ( automotive naughty step) still no start up moved and reseated all the plugs in the engine bay on everything - still nada! reckon the immobiliser is having a hisssy fit - van recovered to main dealer for a diagnostic on Tue.

New noise too electronic beeping from deep in the dash - not something ive ever heard before ( tho did do a few peeps last month i thought it was something to do with the radio Traffic Report type thing)

Back in the 2cv - its becoming a theme on this board:D
kissing the lash
orange 2cv
red Dyane( in bits)