XM 2.5 td Power loss uphill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

leocitroen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0Hdi 165, 09/2012, Automatic, Exclusive, Bourrasque Blau

XM 2.5 td Power loss uphill

Post by leocitroen »

Hi,
When I drive XM it seems to me that the car goes very well, strength is satisfactory. But when I get on the uphill car lost power and as much hard I push gas pedal car does not accelerate. When I get to the top of the climb because I pressed the accelerator almost to the end, the car gets full power and rapidly accelerate.
Any suggestions welcome.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: XM 2.5 td Power loss uphill

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though the turbo is not working or at least not properly, check the hoses to and from the intercooler for splits or poor fitting.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

leocitroen wrote:Hi,
When I drive XM it seems to me that the car goes very well, strength is satisfactory. But when I get on the uphill car lost power and as much hard I push gas pedal car does not accelerate. When I get to the top of the climb because I pressed the accelerator almost to the end, the car gets full power and rapidly accelerate.
Any suggestions welcome.
If you're certain that you have full power when the car is on a level surface and that it loses most of its power on a gradient I would be checking the in tank fuel pump (if it has one) and the in tank filter sock to make sure it is not clogged up. Also check the fuel line from the tank to the injector pump for air leaks. (Only applicable is there is no in-tank pump)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

There's no in-tank pump, but the tank suction pipe can get grot around its lower end. Vague recollection about the suction pipe being very close to the 'polythene' tank bottom, and able to suck it up and restrict the supply. Not a common fault, and not sure whether it applies to the 2.5.

Also check
- there's no undue slack in the throttle cable, where it meets up with the accelerator potentiometer in the engine bay. Slack should be a minimum; make sure the adjusting clips are in place on the cable outer, at the bracket.
- the fuel filter isn't clogged; replaceable Purflux paper element, and an internal micro-fine bronze filter behind the filter head output banjo.
- fuel tank is properly vented; try driving with fuel cap slackened. Possible fault, but unlikely.
- accelerator potentiometer at fault - check with Lexia and ohmmeter; normally a reliable item - so engine ECU does not know how far the throttle is open.
- connection or wiring fault to the engine ECU (unplug and contact clean the 55-pin ECU connector).

Lexia would reveal recurrent faults.
Chris