Keep the CX or suggestions for alternative?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Keep the CX or suggestions for alternative?

Post by oli_25_uk »

Hi All,

I currently drive a CX TGD Safari which I LOVE... but it has a persistent (but very intermittent) over-heating issue (not head gasket I think, because there is no mayo in the Oil filler cap and almost no pressure in the expansion bottle). Just yesterday it blew a hose driving back from the lakes which required trailering back to Brum (after a valiant effort from the AA guy to patch the hose)... so what I need is suggestions for a fix (I think it's got a lot to do with the fan relays or the thermostat - but would welcome other suggestions) - or an interesting and reliable alternative...

In the past I've had a GSA, BX, Xantia, 2 XMs, a mk1 C5 and a C6. As you can see I love my Hydro Cits, especially the ones with PRN satellites.

The problem is other than the ride, I find anything newer than a BX unutterably dull (possibly with the exception of the XM - but I've already had two!). I'm vaguely considering a Mk3 C5 tourer (Hydractive obvs), but I really don't know - the ones I can afford will have been thrashed to death I expect... So helpful advice please...

OLIx
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Keep the CX or suggestions for alternative?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not many C5x7's will have been "thrashed", not really the type of customer
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

oli_25_uk wrote: I currently drive a CX TGD Safari which I LOVE... but it has a persistent (but very intermittent) over-heating issue (not head gasket I think, because there is no mayo in the Oil filler cap and almost no pressure in the expansion bottle). Just yesterday it blew a hose ...
That seems a bit contradictory... If the cooling system isn't pressurising excessively, then maybe it was just an old hose saying goodbye.

If the car is otherwise in good condition, it is certainly worth tracking down the cooling issues (if any).

What symptoms give you the idea that it is overheating, and under what driving conditions?
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

First time it overheated it was on the way back from an epic trip to CX Basis in Germany to have the intercooler sorted (amongst other things)... It handeled the journey amazingly until after a brief stop at Oxford services. When I started the car after a quick toilet/coffee break I noticed that the temperature display was rising, and even after it had passed 92 degrees the fans didn't kick in - so I waited for a while and tried again - the was still water in the expansion tank, but the fans refused to kick in - so not wanting to risk breaking down in the middle of the night I got it trailered back to brum...

My mechanic took a look at it the next day, ran it up to temp and there was no problem so I took it back and drove gingerly around for a few weeks...

Then I noticed it was loosing water, so I took it back to him and he pressure tested it, found nothing conclusive, but like me, didn't really think it was a head gasket.. in the end he used some sort of rad weld stuff because he thought there might be a leak in the radiator... - that was towards the end of last year...

I've been running it ever since with no problems - other that still having to top up the coolant from time to time - but have done some long fast runs (notably to wales fully loaded over new year, with no problems at all)...

Then, this weekend I had to take it up to the lakes for a wedding - got there no problems at all despite sitting in traffic on the M6 for 4 + hours, and then slow crawling up lakedistrict hills round Windermere...

Sadly, yesterday, on the way home, after about 30 mins, doing 70 on a dual carriage way, I heard what I thought was the fanbelt slipping, then the temperature started to rise - I bailed at 102!. When the AA guy came, and topped up the coolant, we noticed it pissing out of a tear in the pipe going to the water pump... He tried to fix it - but not only did it leak pretty quickly, but the fans failed to kick in and so we decided to trailer it home...

I desperately want to get it sorted - because it's pretty rust free, amazingly comfortable, and fantastically fun...
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

Actually sounds pretty straightforward to me: radiator must be cracked/leaking, and the radweld did its job, but you should definitely consider getting a new one fabricated. Had a similar problem with my RX7 FC TII, a small crack in the plastic end-tank, which opened only at high-temps/high-pressure situations. Had to get a new radiator, after that t'was all good, not a single peep from the cooling system ;)

Also you need to check every single coolant hose and repair/replace as needed. Oh, and get that belt checked...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ditto above - similar problem on my Mk 1 XM - overheating, no obvious signs of leaks - 2 garages assumed incorrectly it was the head gasket. Paid a furtune to have it skimmed and refitted only to find the problem remained! Finally took it to a Main Dealer who found the cause was a small crack in one of the hoses hidden underneath and not easy to see. Replaced the hose and end of problem. Just shows how easy it is to misdiagnose - and cost me £700 back in the early 90s I didn't need to spend. The added problem was the leak only became more obvious when the water was hot and the pipes started to expand. So I would definitely get under there and try and locate any leaks first.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

Cheers for the thoughts guys - two questions -
1. being a bit of a simpleton regarding the function of the cooling system - I just assumed that the fans would trigger when the temperature gauge hit 91 (well low speed at 86, high speed at 91) - but this doesn't always happen - is that related to the potential leak in the hoses/radiator or a separate issue?
2. The Ace suggested getting a new radiator fabricated - any one got any suggestions about who might do that?

Cheers,

PS. if anyone is selling an Activa, that feels like my next *logical* citroen step!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well I would look at the obvious and less costly options first - the coolant temperature sensor / thermostat first - the fans should be kicking in and if not then they are not getting the signal to do so. I got rid of my Haynes CX manual years ago, so I can't really remember what the setup is there now - but I'm sure there will be a few more recent CX boffs here that can help with the culprits.

Here's a link to CX supplier for the above - they also do the temperature switch for the radiator fan - you just need to have a search on their site:
http://car-parts.mister-auto.co.uk/en/e ... 830_ls235/
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 07 Jun 2016, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

oli_25_uk wrote:Cheers for the thoughts guys - two questions -
1. being a bit of a simpleton regarding the function of the cooling system - I just assumed that the fans would trigger when the temperature gauge hit 91 (well low speed at 86, high speed at 91) - but this doesn't always happen - is that related to the potential leak in the hoses/radiator or a separate issue?
2. The Ace suggested getting a new radiator fabricated - any one got any suggestions about who might do that?

Cheers,

PS. if anyone is selling an Activa, that feels like my next *logical* citroen step!
Good luck getting an Activa; they are less common than hens teeth on a pile of rocking horse manure. Saying that, they are now coming out of hibernation and stretching their wheels and rams. You might find that at the end of summer (in about a weeks' time) somebody will decide to sell their Activa!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I ran diesel CXs for a number of years and found that the radiator life was not all that long, my last one was a DTR Turbo and I had to replace the radiator twice in about 160k miles. The digital readout always sat at 85C when it went to 86C time for a new rad. I got mine re cored, that will likely be your only route now.

Peter
Cyprian
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: CX Break DTR 1989, SM 1972

Post by Cyprian »

I have a tdr break, similar issue losing water but could not find where it was going, turned out that the expansion tank/ball yoke had a tiny hole in it. Seemed to have been caused by the metal surround. I only spotted it because the leak had stained the ball but it was below the lip slightly so wasn't visible till I started to take the system apart. Replaced the tank and all was good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

So before we can really get into the diagnosis of the cooling system - I need to get another water hose to replace the split one - other than CX-basis - anyone got any good suggestions...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Its not really clear to me whether your car has a history of losing water (before the current hose issue).
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

It does have a history of loosing water, not vast quantities, I think most likely due to some hole somewhere expanding when it's hot...

Still pretty certain it's not head gasket, system withstands pressure testing and there is no sign at all of mayo...
Cyprian
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: CX Break DTR 1989, SM 1972

Post by Cyprian »

Franzose.de has some decent prices on hoses.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk