LED main headlamp bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

LED main headlamp bulbs

Post by Wookey »

My Expert has standard-for-30-years H4 halogen bulbs. I just replaced one with my last spare and am just wondering if any of the LED replacements are a good idea? These lamps work in conjunction with the glass and the little shade thing inside the bulb to make the right pattern, so it seems unlikely that LED replacements will work all that well as the LEDs are not a (n almost) point source in the same way.

Has anyone tried it? LEDs use less energy and should last longer (if they don't get too hot in there), and the colour is nicer too, so it'd be nice if it does work but there is no point if the pattern will be all wrong (Annoy everyone else, fail MOT and probably not see much either).

So, is this just a daft idea or something worth experimenting with? I failed to find anything in the search already discussing this matter.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: LED main headlamp bulbs

Post by white exec »

In general, headlight units designed around H1/H4/H7 etc halogen lamps have reflectors and optics which rely on a point source of light - the very compact tungsten filament.

Most LED slot-in replacements, in order to achieve the necessary light output, use multiple SMDs (surface-mount devices) spread over a large area of the replacement lamp. Using these results in a poorly focussed headlight, which behaves more like a floodlight than a spotlight, causing both light scatter (instead of putting the beam where it ought to go) and dazzle to oncoming traffic. Dip-beam is particularly compromised.

Although quite a heavily marketed as a popular 'conversion', it's best not to go down this route. If LED headlights are needed, then the whole headlight unit should be changed for an LED-dedicated one (usually impractical), or a point-source of light alternative should be sought.

HID conversions are no longer road legal, unless the car is equipped with both headlight washers and self-levelling suspension. Recent MoT regs have tightened permitted conversions even further, I believe.

For original halogen headlights, the best current option is to use either Philips' Xtreme or Osram Nightbreaker bulbs, which have a superb and higher light output, long life, and possess the 'original' H1/H4/H7 etc package, and the original wattage.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: LED main headlamp bulbs

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have, on occasion, got the 'Ultimate Speed' headlight bulbs from Lidl when they get them in. They usually have a couple of choices (but not, unfortunately, H1), such as 50% longer beam, or blue tinge), and are around £5 a pair.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!