TD engine dip stick info

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

TD engine dip stick info

Post by Stuart McB »

To all of you who have a citroen TD or just plain old diesel. I had a right bad oil leak on mine and thought the worst (head gasket) cleaned then engine down and found that it was actually oil leaking past the oil filler tube (called a decanting unit in Citroen tech speak) where it fitts in to the engine behind the starter motor. It's a pain to get off but can be done with out removing the starter. Any how if you fitting a new oil filler you must also buy the dip stick that come's with it. As I found out Citroen now make the part a generic fitting for the whole range of diesel engines and it's about an inch (26mm) longer than original fittings. The dip stick only cost £5 and the filler £15 so not a bad deal. Alsoit's best to replace the 'O' ring as well. Thought you should know. The ZX is now MOT'd and all oil leaks are stopped so it staying for a couple more months. Still looking for another Xsara VTR in helios gold at the right price though. [:D][:D]
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Had that problem on my parter's old 1.9 petrol 405 GTX - nasty burning smell, and when we stopped there was oil everywhere! The tube containing the dipstick had snapped right off. Wasn't expensive to fix though.
Stu.