Cruise & Speed Limiter Fault C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uglybanana
My Cars: Citroen C5 VTR Tourer 2009 X7

Cruise & Speed Limiter Fault C5 X7

Post by uglybanana »

I've recently bought a 2009 C5 X7 Tourer but I'm having a problem with the limiter and cruise control. When I press the + - or pause button to set the cruise the dashes on the display just flash 7 times and it always says paused instead of picking up the speed and setting the system on. The buttons are working because when I try to press any of them under 30mph it says it cannot activate speed is too low. The limiter is the same. I can set a speed but it just stays paused and flashes the set speed if I try to unpause.

I've done a lot of reading and noticed the brake switch can be a cause so I've checked this and all is fine. I took it out and tested it with a multimeter and it tested as it should. I've tried a generic OBD2 tester and it shows 1 fault code which is P1351 which is glow plugs I think and I didn't think that's something which would stop cruise from working. I cleared the fault which does come straight back and no change. I also tried disconnecting the battery and again no change. I thought maybe ABS sensors but I'm getting no other faults and I thought I would at least get an ESP/ASR problem if a sensor was faulty.

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for the cause or if I get a lexia and Diagbox is this likely to help in narrowing things down. Seeing as the OBD2 tester I tried didn't come up with any faults except the one mentioned is Diagbox just going to tell me the same thing?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Cruise & Speed Limiter Fault C5 X7

Post by myglaren »

OBD2 testers will be of very limited use on PSA cars, a dedicated Diagbox/Lexia will dig up far more information.
There are a number of members who have Lexia/Diagbox equipment and will use it to help fellow forum members.
If you have a look here there is a list of those members and a map of their locations.
If you can PM one close to you and arrange a diagnostic session that should narrow down the options.
There may be a small charge levied but it will be significantly lower than a dealer would charge.

The glow plug problem could be spurious as they are not used until the temperature falls below -5°C except for a bit of post heating to reduce emissions until the engine warms up a bit.

Welcome to the forum :)
uglybanana

Post by uglybanana »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome :) I'd already checked the map and there isn't really anyone too close to me and I have a hectic schedule so could be difficult for me to arrange time with someone. I don't really mind buying the kit if it will help as it could be useful down the line and it always has resale value. I just didn't want to go to the time and effort if it wasn't going to help much in diagnosing the cruise fault as it's the only real issue I have right now.

I also thought there may be at least one or two obvious things I could check first without going down that route. Regarding the glow plugs I've read this may stop the DPF regen from kicking in as it needs the glow plugs to do it. Is that right or will the regen work without them? I'd rather not change them unless I have to. Don't fancy one snapping on me.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok it might be something as simple as actually pressing the cruise / limiter button on the steering wheel first of all to enable the system. It is the one that looks like a stop watch on the bottom left hand side of the steering wheel controls. If it isn't enabled first then any amount of pressing the + won't do it. When the car is stationary, cycle through the options by continually pressing the cruise / limited button until it says cruise on the display, then go off for a drive and try it then.

Page 68 of the manual.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
uglybanana

Post by uglybanana »

The button on the bottom left says "off" underneath the stop watch icon so when I press that it turns the system off. When the system is off and I press the cruise/limiter button it comes up with the limiter first and it says paused. Another press of the limit / cruise button and it changes to cruise and again it says paused with 3 dashes in the display like this - - - When I then press the + - or pause button above 30mph the 3 dashes flash 7 times and nothing happens. The same thing happens with the limiter but I can set a speed with the + and - buttons it's when I press pause to unpause the system the numbers I have set flash instead of the dashes but it still says paused.

I know it sounds like user error and I thought so at first but I have read and re-read how to set it over and over and tried at least 50 times now in different ways to get it going and it just does the same thing every time.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok I'll have a check on mine tomorrow again to confirm. If this isn't the solution, then it's got to be a Lexia session to see what's going on. I'm tempted to go for Brake switch - a common problem, but until it's been tested you don't wnat to be replacing parts.

Marc
uglybanana

Post by uglybanana »

Thanks. Already checked the brake switch and a few other things as in first post. Looks like it's going to be the Lexia. Not confident it's going to show me anything, nothing obvious at least but it's worth a try.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just been out for s spin and pressing 'Off' disables as expected; pressing 'limit/cruise' re-enables with pause shown. Only then works when in 4th or above and at appropriate speed. So I guess it's s Lexia to get to the bottom of it. I haven't heard of many comms units being replaced on the X7 at all....

Marc
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Coincidence, I just went through the same symptoms with my 05 C5 facelift. After it working fine the last year (my ownership) it began faulting last week as you describe. No matter what I pressed it would not activate, just flashed like when the conditions aren't fulfilled, such as the minimum speed (25mph) or gear (4th, 5th).

Meanwhile, I had to re-visit the steering angle sensor in the lexia and after re-calibration (plus clearing all registered faults), the cruise control is now back to working as before. Maybe a placebo effect, but it seems to "react" to button presses better now too, as if the ECU was previously overloaded/confused with its data.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I meant to say in my last post, as you have disconnected the battery, did you follow the BSI reset procedure? Recommended to cure many electrical gremlins and should be done when disconnecting the battery.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Just a thought

On a manual C5 the cruise system goes to pause if you push the clutch down to change gear (the limit system remembers the preset limit).

That suggests to me there might be a clutch pedal switch as well as a brake pedal one, could that be it?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
uglybanana

Post by uglybanana »

Givemeabreak. I just switched off the car left it for 3 minutes with doors closed and key out, disconnected the battery, left it for 1 minute and reconnected then got inside and turned on the ignition. Does turning on the ignition without opening the door first or holding the keyfob button trigger the reset?

Normally just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery on most cars is enough to reset the ECU. I have the Citroen service backup docs installed and even that says to just disconnect and reconnect the battery with no other steps.

Richard C. Forgot to mention it's an auto.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

uglybanana wrote:I have the Citroen service backup docs installed and even that says to just disconnect and reconnect the battery with no other steps.
Not true, you're not reading in the right location ... as for the reasons why the cruise control can go haywire, there are just a few really:
- pressing the on/off switch (obvious, no, but maybe one of the steering wheel's micro switches is constantly pressed in - pause i.e., doesn't do anything except pausing/resuming the active limitation)
- error in the multiplexed network (CAN IS, CAN CAR or CAN CONFORT)
- error in the cruise control ECUs
- error in retrieving cruise control data
- interaction with the clutch (on manuals), brake and/or gearbox
- inconsistent brake sensor data
- faulty brake switch
- faulty clutch switch (on manuals)
- vehicle speed drops below 35 km/h (~21 mph)
- ASR/ESP kicks in
- manual gearbox is not in the allowed gear range (4th or above)
- collision detected

Take your pick ... and do tell me that you don't need a Lexia/DiagBox for that ... and those are just "regular" faults as detected by Citroen designers/technicians ...
Last edited by vborovic on 30 May 2016, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Add to that list Brake Pads low....my x7 did not like cruse when the low pad light came on.

Agree, you NEED to follow the correct procedure as listed for the ECU/slave ECU's reset.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

uglybanana wrote:Givemeabreak. I just switched off the car left it for 3 minutes with doors closed and key out, disconnected the battery, left it for 1 minute and reconnected then got inside and turned on the ignition. Does turning on the ignition without opening the door first or holding the keyfob button trigger the reset?

Normally just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery on most cars is enough to reset the ECU. I have the Citroen service backup docs installed and even that says to just disconnect and reconnect the battery with no other steps..
No it's not normally enough - as Vab has pointed out, there are a lot of ECUs there on the main vehicle networks - not giving the car time to put all the ECUs to sleep can cause problems when disconnecting and re-connecting the battery. They need time to go to sleep and awaken - which is mentioned many times in the service documentation. Make sure you pop the hood first and wind down the driver's window so you can reach in to turn the side light on and turn the ignition on at the relevant parts of the procedure without opening the doors until you've completed the reset.

Not all cars are created the same. :wink:

We're not saying this is going to be the cure, but it at least rules out electrical gremlins that we know of.

Marc