Xsara management light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boxermeg
My Cars:

Xsara management light

Post by boxermeg »

Xsara 2.0 HDI W reg. Engine management light came on a few months ago with the car running fine. Checked by local friendly citroen man, nothing seemed wrong, codes reset and no more problems, light now off. After 3 months light has decided to come on again with no apparent problems with the car. Is this a common xsara electrical fault or is there a 'real' problem that I should worry about????
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Does the lamp stay lit now ?
I suspect that all HDI fitted Citroens exploits the same ECU type.
I don't recall other owners have reported this problem here - don't think it's a typical problem.
If the lamp is lit constantly - the ECU should have stored a fault code pointing to a problem area.
If the lamp comes on now & then - the ECU would not likely store a fault code.
Either indication - you probably have a cable/connector problem - or one of the engine parameters is working close to - or beyond - the working limit.
In fact it could be anything.
This requires extensive fault tracing exploiting test equipment able to read engine sensor values during engine running - not just the simple check of ECU fault codes.
If your car is under warranty - then submit a written statement on your claim - ensuring they don't "forget" you did in fact claim the problem in the warranty period.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

do you remember what the fault code(s) were the last time this happened if there was any ?
there are 2 types of ECU/injection systems on 2.0 HDi,Bosch & some of the later 90bhp versions have a Siemens system,i suspect this car has the Bosch system even if the light only comes on every now & then the ECU should still have logged a fault.if there are no fault codes & no running problems at all then it may just be a software problem requring a download (main dealer unfortunatly).
i agree with Anders 100% when he says "This requires extensive fault tracing exploiting test equipment able to read engine sensor values during engine running - not just the simple check of ECU fault codes."
without something like that you could be pissing against the wind.