Adieu...!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bonnyman750
My Cars:

Adieu...!

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi All,

sadly I have now parted company with the C5 Tourer as it was going to cost me a lot of money in one hit...

Clutch and DMF....£700 (at Dealers using genuine parts as my Indy has now retired due to ill health),
Battery....anywhere between £60-100 (had a battery scare a couple of months back....)
All 4 tyres were getting low....Cheapest I could get locally was £125 a corner and
the tax (£185) was due at the end of May....

As you may well know, I sold the gold Xantia and a garage full of spares to another forum member, as documented on this site, September of last year and that was due to both my wife having a knee operation (which put her out of (driving) action for several months) thus not needing two cars; the growing lack of enthusiasm for working on cars at all (mostly inconvenient!) opportunities and the spectre of the dreaded steering rack leaking again! With this, and the list above in mind, at the last major service at 140000 miles I made the decision to sell the C5 and get something newer.

It was hard parting with her as I still really enjoyed the driving experience, the beautiful lines (always looked back at her when parked up) and all the toys and features but I just could no longer justify spending that much money in one hit on a (nearly) 7 year old car. Plus that age has caught up with me and although I still like the challenge and pleasure of successfully repairing cars (and other things), I decided that it was high time to stop lying on cold wet floors, in the rain and wind and start using the weekends for what they are really for...living, days away and time spent with both daughters, partners and granddaughter..(although, I suspect, I will probably end up wielding some spanners at their cars and bikes at some point!).

I did consider a DS5 for me and a DS3 for my wife but the Citroen dealer prices (even with trade-in and payment scheme purchases) were way too high. After considering all options I purchased (through the (cheaper option) company privilege scheme) a couple of new cars (technically on a lease scheme...your car, you fix it! Here's the keys, call me when it's ready to collect...!) and spending more time with (all) my family and motorcycling....

This isn't goodbye as, who know, I may reawaken my French love affair at some point in the future....

I would like to thank you all for all the info and support given to me by you over the last 7-8 years keeping all 3 (and friends/relations) Xantias and the C5 on the road and I will keep in touch via this site from time to time and offer any advice, info and support when I can...

Cheers,

Glyn

PS. I still have a couple of C5 Tourer items kicking around so I will list them in the For Sale and Wanted area at some point as they may be of use to some Forum members.............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Adieu...!

Post by Stickyfinger »

Booooo.....no French :(
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

No. I'm a frayed knot...far too expensive for me to even consider and, after much soul searching and personal situation decided they had to be both new and the best VFM I could get and Citroën were nowhere near...

Cheers

Glyn
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Sounds like a sensible decision to me, but do tell, what did you go for in the end?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Korean by any chance?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

No....Ford...I get extra privilege deals through work which makes it more financially viable. 1.5 tdci Focus Zetec estate in black for me and 1 litre fiesta ecoboost in magnetic grey for my wife...
Cheers..
Glyn
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

bonnyman750 wrote:No....Ford...I get extra privilege deals through work which makes it more financially viable. 1.5 tdci Focus Zetec estate in black for me and 1 litre fiesta ecoboost in magnetic grey for my wife...
Cheers..
Glyn
Two very nice motors, the tdci is a good engine and the focus looks smart, I hope you both enjoy them.
However, I do not agree with your choice of colour, Black! you will always be polishing it, now, your wifes Magnetic Grey Fietsa, a much more sensible decision...doesn't show the dirt......each to their own I suppose.:-D
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
The Ace
My Cars: Citroen C5 1.6THP Prestige
Ford Fiesta 1.0Ecoboost Titanium

Post by The Ace »

bonnyman750 wrote:No....Ford...I get extra privilege deals through work which makes it more financially viable. 1.5 tdci Focus Zetec estate in black for me and 1 litre fiesta ecoboost in magnetic grey for my wife...
Cheers..
Glyn
8-)

The 1.0EB Fiesta is a very nice choice, we opted for the exact same car (in Titanium trim) 6 months ago, as a replacement for the wife's aging 206. Economical, nippy (and can be made seriously fast :twisted: ), all the creature comforts you can ask for in a B-segment car, and a very decent package (price+warranty wise).