Where is the central locking controller? (XM)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Russell

Where is the central locking controller? (XM)

Post by Russell »

Hi,
Can't lock my car at the moment, the door lock solenoids operate twice and unlock it again. Can't lock it with the plips, either of them, or sitting inside and pushing the lock buttons down, or using the key in the locks, they just bounce back off.
For good measure the alarm arms on first attempt to lock, and disarms on second attempt. The only snag being that the alarm goes off sometimes so I have to remember to disarm the ultrasonics.
Anyway, can anyone tell me where the central locking controller is? The suggestions I've seen so far are: in one of the front doors, not sure which, under the seat, somewhere near the parking brake, or under the central console. It's a 2.1 TD XM, and I'd really like to know where the controller lives. The haynes includes a circuit diagram, but doesn't say where the central locking controller is positioned
My guess is currently within a door, but if I knew which one, I'd be much more willing to start taking it apart..!
I assume the problem is most likely to be a broken wire inside the door or at the controller, but if anyone has other ideas?
cheers
Russell
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Russell
This is alsmost certainly due to a failed microswitch in one of the front doors. This signals to the controller that the door has locked - if the controller doesn't receive these signals it opens the locks again. Sadly it's going to be a gamble as to whether you get the right door panel off first, but for some reason it usually seems to be the passenger door..... Might be worth waggling the bundle of wires where they enter the doors - this may show up a breaking wire by temporarily repairing the fault!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The central locking control unit in my ('93) TD12 (LHD) is in the drivers door. One thing I have discovered with the type of problem you are encountering is that either one of the end position microswithces has broken (as Richard says above) OR one of the door-open switches is not grounding properly. On my XM TD12 there are 2 interior-lighting type switches, one in the door jamb and one at the back edge of the door (in the B-pillar). Both are somehow conected to the central locking and don't allow it to lock if it thinks the door is not completely closed - could be worth checking before you tear the door down . . .
//NiSk
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks Nisk,
Interesting that you have LHD and the controller is in the drivers door, and Richard, talking about a RHD model said he thought it ws usually in the passenger door, cos that sounds like the the same door to me, which would probably make sense.
Citroen are unlikely to change the wiring loom between LHD and RHD models, so I will strip down my passenger door. (First, anyway..!)
My car has just one switch exterior to each front door on the central pillar between the doors at the bottom, this is connected to the interior lighting controller, and seems to be working as advertised.
Are these locking microswitches built right into the locking mechanism or are they adjustable limit switches exterior to the lock mechanism?
Is there reasonable access to the switch contacts?
Anyway, I expect I will find out soon, and will let anyone interested know.
Cheers
Russell [:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

They arn't adjustable. You have to take out the door locking mechanism to get at them.
//NiSk