windshield washers not spraying...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moenbeer
My Cars:

windshield washers not spraying...

Post by moenbeer »

Hi all

Next problem... windshield washers not spraying... No fluid coming out in the front, after I used the rear washer... It's really stange.

If I loosen the pump.. Not disconneting it.. with washerfluid all over my back.. And reattach it to the container... The windshield washer in front work fine again.... switch to the rear.. Washes fine.. then to front again... No nothing. The pump is working.. just no fluid... but a little is coming out the rear.

Is there a switch somewhere in the engine room, that diverts the fluid to the front or rear? - I tried to disconnect the battery. But that did not solve the problem... Funny thing is that I can reset the problem, just by pulling the pump loose and reattach it to the fluid container... i dont even have to disconnect the wires or hoses.... :?: And yes I even pulled the pump and tested it.. works fine. I just don't get it.. - How does it redirect the fluid to front or back? - There must be a switching connecter somewhere.. or is build into in the pump? - There is only 2 wires going to it. #-o

Any tips or tricks ?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: windshield washers not spraying...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It would help to say what vehicle it is. A common design on the washer system is that it runs in either direction, with a simple valve mechanism to determine which way the water goes. This means that when the pump runs one way the water goes to the front windscreen, and when it runs the other way the rear windscreen gets washed.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Used to happen to my Mk1 C5.....take off the feed pipe next to the bonnet hinge, and blow (very hard and not with a compressor) down the tube, keep up the pressure (bust a blood vessel doing it) till it bubbles....mine then worked
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

Or buy a new pump for a fiver off eBay, install it and never have the issue again..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:It would help to say what vehicle it is. A common design on the washer system is that it runs in either direction, with a simple valve mechanism to determine which way the water goes. This means that when the pump runs one way the water goes to the front windscreen, and when it runs the other way the rear windscreen gets washed.
Sorry - its a C5 HDI 2.0 from 2004.

ah, so it run in revers when pumping the other way? - So i could be a stuck valve in the pump.
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Stickyfinger wrote:Used to happen to my Mk1 C5.....take off the feed pipe next to the bonnet hinge, and blow (very hard and not with a compressor) down the tube, keep up the pressure (bust a blood vessel doing it) till it bubbles....mine then worked
towards the pump? or windshield?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

towards the pump. The arch liner comes off to get to the pump I think, maybe the bumper I cannot remember but I never changed it. Got a few strange looks at a filling station once :)
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 11 May 2016, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: windshield washers not spraying...

Post by BenC5HDi »

moenbeer wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:It would help to say what vehicle it is. A common design on the washer system is that it runs in either direction, with a simple valve mechanism to determine which way the water goes. This means that when the pump runs one way the water goes to the front windscreen, and when it runs the other way the rear windscreen gets washed.

ah, so it run in revers when pumping the other way? - So i could be a stuck valve in the pump.
Yes. The pumps are cheap and easy to replace. They get full of crud eventually. My Berlingo and C4 have the same pump and same arrangement and I had to put new pumps on both.

moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Stickyfinger wrote:towards the pump. The arch liner comes off to get to the pump I think, maybe the bumper I cannot remember but I never changed it. Got a few strange looks at a filling station once :)
Nice, try it tomorrow morning. - Jup the pump is on the rigth side under the fender... hard to get to...
moenbeer
My Cars:

Re: RE: Re: windshield washers not spraying...

Post by moenbeer »

BenC5HDi wrote:
moenbeer wrote:

Yes. The pumps are cheap and easy to replace. They get full of crud eventually. My Berlingo and C4 have the same pump and same arrangement and I had to put new pumps on both.

Oki, then I just get a new pump. Thanks for the tip. :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Stickyfinger wrote:Used to happen to my Mk1 C5.....take off the feed pipe next to the bonnet hinge, and blow (very hard and not with a compressor) down the tube, keep up the pressure (bust a blood vessel doing it) till it bubbles....mine then worked
Only problem with that method is that there should be non-return valves in the pipework to prevent the fluid draining back into the reservoir.

I had one jet not spraying. Removed it and poked the orifices plus ran it under a strong water jet. Surprising that amount of muck that came out.
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Yes! - It works again!! :D - Now I just need to get a new pump and change it.

Thanks for the tip. - Very usefull.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Blown a blood vessel ? :) do not ask how I worked it out :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider