Pug 405 Tailgate Wiring / Glass

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Pug 405 Tailgate Wiring / Glass

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Anyone got any advice how to either:-
....get the wiring to feed down the side of a replacement tailgate for wiper motor, rear lights, etc (it enters at the top)

....or get the glass out of a secondhand tailgate without breaking it

...or, incredibly long shot, this one; anyone got a 405 est tailgate glass only? or know of one?

Big pole with a sticky out bit jumped in my path as I was reversing, missed the bumper entirely but shattered my rear screen, did I swear....? course not :rofl2:

NB: none of the tailgates available to me are the correct colour, so if you've got a white one, let me know
Puxa
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Pug 405 Tailgate Wiring / Glass

Post by spider »

The normal way to replace the wiring is to use a bit of string tied to the old one, I'm told using something like a throttle cable inner / bike brake cable is slightly better actually.

Would one of the many windscreen places be willing to remove the glass from the 'used' tailgate and refit it for you ? Worth a couple of cheeky phone calls I think, worst case is they will tell you no. ;)

Red / Grey seemed the most popular colour choices for the estates although there were quite a few white ones about too, shame you cannot find a good one in the right colour as you say :(
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Spider, looks like good advice as usual. Local windscreen fitter is happy to remove glass from the donor tailgate and fit to mine; and appears to also know my mate with the Peugeot graveyard from whom I'll be purchasing it (its outside so waiting for dry weather); so looking like a bit of a result actually

at a cost of a little over a ton, which, while a lot of money to me and a fair proportion of the car's value; isn't unreasonable at all.

NB: an aside re colour. I ran a red 405 estate for 3 years and always wanted a white one; so when that went to the great Peugeot graveyard; I found myself my current driver, a white one.

But red (cherry red, non-metallic) actually suits them better. The metallics are lovely too, long as its not peeled.

I've clocked a little over 100,000miles in the two of them in 7 years; both na's; and about another 50k prior to that in an early pre-facelift 309 (I prefer the dashboard and rear end styling to the facelift ones) and 2 door ZX (very uncommon indeed) also 1.9 na's.

I've never driven a turbodiesel.

In my mid-40's now, I'd quite like to continue to run 405's for the rest of my driving career, so about 30years. Mechanicals won't be a problem with that but the 405 specific parts could be; eg suspension
Puxa
Goc3k
My Cars: MKII saloon 405 DHY XUD9TE

(And some vastly less french cars!)

Post by Goc3k »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: I've never driven a turbodiesel.
But.. woooooosh - BBRRRRRRRRRR *fut fut* wooosh - BBBRRRRRRRR!!! :-D (constructive comment)

Bit of picture wire stripped down to two/three threads also works for pulling new wiring through, easy to get hold of.

Did you have a go at changing the cambelt on your 405 yet also Pug_XUD?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome. :)

I do not forsee any real parts issues as they made enough and the used (pattern parts suppliers) seems lively enough for these vehicles.

Turbo 405 (1.9 preferably not too late a model) are quite awesome in their power delivery when they are properly setup. There did seem to be a bit of variation in them at the factory (unless it was people tinkering) , generally the K/L plates are a bit more 'lively' than the N plate ones. Very late ones may have EGR too, even if disabled the mod design of the mankifolds (sic) means its not quite as 'good' as the earlier ones.

I have driven quite a few N/A 1.9 405's and the performance is quite reasonable all in all, if you are happy with it, then look no further. :D , Its certainly a lot better 'on the road' than the figures on paper would suggest as you know only too well. :)

I know what you mean about the 'early' dashboard. The early one is a bit more logical and if you look closely (only on MPH models really) the same font is used on the speedo and tacho. Compare this to an (MPH) 'new shape' one and its wildly different and almost looks out of place.

The round knob heater controls are a bit less fussy on the MK1 too I think. To be fair the later dash is less prone to rattles and its a single piece (sort of) compared to the MK1 fascia assembly.

Regarding dash types, on the 205 I prefer the later (post 87ish) dash as the earlier one is a bit dreadful (sorry) on these I think. I guess I was lucky with my '91 DT with its full length centre console etc (not too common) , the only real strange thing with that was the heater outlet vents, the extra ones in the 'console tunnel' , unless the seat was fully back it would not really do much apart from gently warm the seat side bolsters. :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Goc3k wrote: Did you have a go at changing the cambelt on your 405 yet also Pug_XUD?
lol, not yet. I spent a day at my favourite breakers successfully removing an engine to practice on, much of it in the rain; doing myself no injury whatsoever in the process; then spent a good while getting it out to my trailer, gashing the side of my hand in the course of 'making a gap big enough to get it through' between two cars, involving a crowbar, a Rover and a big hammer. Huge thanks to the unknown fella in the BMW Mini overalls who helped me lift it.

i've since chucked oil down the inlets to preserve it, realising afterward that coz of course oil doesn't compress, I'd effectively seized it; then waited a while to receive a purchased 'Sealey thin wall' injector remover, which isn't thin enough to go in the gap available between the head & the injector on No.4 (see post elsewhere), but it turns just fine with that one still in situ. Will be buying a 'Laser' brand one soon as recommended here on the Forum.

At the last count I'd removed the crank pulley (with no issue whatsoever getting it to come off) got the timing belt covers off and found suitable bolts for the flywheel and fuel pump & cam pulleys. Engine out, its looking like a complete doddle, but I've not yet removed & refitted the belt and turned the engine to ensure all's fine before I do it for real.

Course slightly more pressing issue now with the back window, oh and just to add to the fun, I've been ill, too. Great! (minor, but inconvenient, now recovered)

Should the previous owner of now deceased red 2 door poverty spec 306 (not even PAS or colour coded bumpers) with the Prescott Hillcliimb sticker in the window, M742 LFP, be reading this, I'd be interested to hear.
Puxa
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

You should be fine with that cambelt. I was in the same position a couple of years ago but mine was attached to my van. It took me days the first time but now I've done 5 or 6 cam belts on xuds I can get it done in half a day including water pump and tensioners. It's not a hard job at all, just when it's in a car it can be time consuming working out the access which will be harder when you come to it than the actual belt change. With the crank pulley and covers off you'll find your belt is changed in no time now.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks James. I thought I might need a 'puller' for the crank pulley, clearly not in this case. Was I lucky with it, or are they not usually an issue? (its got the later covers so its gotta come off)
Puxa
elma

Post by elma »

They can be really stuck on, I've cracked the one on my scrap car getting it off. It was one I recently changed the cambelt on so I guess being recently torqued it was on solid. I've not had trouble with any other than that one so far but if I had a puller I'd use it as the chance of damage would be lesser. I use a 240v impact wrench to undo the bolt nowadays which has made life a lot easier than the brakes and long bar method. I have to admit I usually cranked the engine with a bar on the bolt prior to the impact wrench as I rarely could get the bolt to budge with body weight and shouting.

The real trick in situ is getting the glow plugs out and in rapidly without losing the nuts and getting the hang of manuvering the engine so you can reach that 11mm bolt at the back of the covers. I just use a 1/4 ratchet on that now I have the hang of it. Previously I used an obstruction spanner as advised on the forum because the access is terrible until you get the hang of moving the engine around.

I guess the other little pain is the tensioner, it's easiest to use a special tool (or water pump wrench) to hold the spring bit in place and just swap the tensioner over. It's a blooming nightmare if you let the spring pop out. However a member recently changed their belt and found the spring was shorter than it used to be. They did replace it, which I bet they didn't enjoy, but considering the spring sets the tension I will be doing this next time myself. I suggest you get the hang of it on the spare engine if you feel the same, it's not fun in the engine bay.

Good luck with the rear screen too, I've been nattering in the wrong thread here.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Puxa
Goc3k

Post by Goc3k »

Evening guys,

Bad luck on the injury, probable back pain, and out in the damp while ill when doing so. Sounds like a bit of an ordeal! At least you got it back okay =D>

On the engine preservation, you would have been safe turning it by hand full of oil. You would snap the head off the crank bolt with a breaker bar before damaging a rod or other innards, removing the plugs instead of injectors would also do the trick if you still want to get the oil back out of No. 4. Would recommend taking the alternator off and keeping it indoors also.

Looking at the pictures I see your problem, mine (& I guess all turbo XUD's) has a water outlet feed where that blanking plate with the bracket in your way is. You can take it off and just silicone it back down if you need to (take it slow, the heads of the bolts will be rotten where water has contacted them). Think I only paid 70 quid for a complete gasket kit, and the "part" gasket set (which has no crank / cam / gearbox etc seals) was only about £20 (it has all the papery ones). While on the cambelt - remember to change your camshaft end seal as well. You don't want a fresh belt getting leaked on for the sake of a pennies seal!

Elma is spot on about the impact gun. The electric ones are very good nowadays, any with an output over 400Nm of torque will get any bolt off the car, no matter how seized or torqued up in a jiffy. The crank pulleys also have a finite life, they're two part dampened things that usually start to disintegrate at about 100-140k miles (notice the thin rubbery layer between the two halves is probably cracked / very hard), and usually fall apart by 200k at the latest, this is usually brought forward when hammering at it with an impact gun though! :lol:

And I was the one who mentioned my tensoner spring being smaller than the replacement from the dealer I picked up (£2!). Didn't have any trouble putting the new spring in, I can remember thinking it was going to be a trial after the comments on my first post, then only taking about 90 seconds to do it. I did proceed to be baffled for an hour as to why the belt tracking was completely off though, so i didn't miss out on the fun (had totally forgot the tensioner bracket nut). Only thing I remember doing not in the haynes manual was disconnecting part of the gearbox linkage so I could drop the engine a good 100-150mm further out of the car.

Hope you get the boot glass sorted. At least the weather is a little warmer at the moment!
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Goc3k wrote:Bad luck on the injury..... Looking at the pictures I see your problem, mine (& I guess all turbo XUD's) has a water outlet feed where that blanking plate with the bracket in your way is.
No just a virus, but thanks. I was a sodden soul at the end of the removal, but triumphant. Naturally it wasn't supported that high or that dodgily when I was working underneath it.

Re No.4 injector, no; not to do with the blanking plate, but the raised part of the cylinder head at about '2 o clock' to the injector. Also where the injector pipe for No.3 is a bit rusty and almost in contact with it.

Thanks also for the advice re impact gun, but I think rather outside of my budget.

That moment (re tensioner) when you forget to do something really obvious is the moment that you need to go indoors for tea & cake. I know it all too well... keen to get done, rushing for a deadline / weather / daylight; and my Aspergers makes me prone to 'doing things to death' & losing track of time. Often you'll get to the end of the job and realise that in your hurry and/or fatigue you've forgotten something important.

Boot glass well on its way to being sorted, thanks. S/h tailgate located and friendly window fitter on board.

Worth a mention btw that my contact's got a wealth of Peugeot parts: mostly 505, some 504, quite a bit of 205 (std and GTi) and a fair bit of 405. Mi16 needs a good home and generous offers. Appears solid at a glance. Fabulous fella, he's a bit of a hoarder, as is the case with some of the very best parts sources, so not the most organised; but if there's something you need I'll do my best to encourage him to find it; specially the bigger stuff. I won't provide contact details coz he'd be inundated and wouldn't thank me for it.

Good point bout the alternator, will do; its the expensive variant too. I once had the misfortune to replace it twice in 6 weeks, just got unlucky with a s/h one.

I do loathe saying 'you're mistaken' to someone, as my social skills aren't 100% soi I do hope I've done so everso nicely.
Puxa
elma

Post by elma »

Goc3k wrote: And I was the one who mentioned my tensoner spring being smaller than the replacement from the dealer I picked up (£2!). Didn't have any trouble putting the new spring in, I can remember thinking it was going to be a trial after the comments on my first post, then only taking about 90 seconds to do it. I did proceed to be baffled for an hour as to why the belt tracking was completely off though, so i didn't miss out on the fun (had totally forgot the tensioner bracket nut). Only thing I remember doing not in the haynes manual was disconnecting part of the gearbox linkage so I could drop the engine a good 100-150mm further out of the car.
I know who I'm inviting round next cambelt change...
Goc3k

Post by Goc3k »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
Goc3k wrote:Bad luck on the injury..... Looking at the pictures I see your problem, mine (& I guess all turbo XUD's) has a water outlet feed where that blanking plate with the bracket in your way is.
No just a virus, but thanks. I was a sodden soul at the end of the removal, but triumphant. Naturally it wasn't supported that high or that dodgily when I was working underneath it.

Re No.4 injector, no; not to do with the blanking plate, but the raised part of the cylinder head at about '2 o clock' to the injector. Also where the injector pipe for No.3 is a bit rusty and almost in contact with it.

Thanks also for the advice re impact gun, but I think rather outside of my budget.

That moment (re tensioner) when you forget to do something really obvious is the moment that you need to go indoors for tea & cake. I know it all too well... keen to get done, rushing for a deadline / weather / daylight; and my Aspergers makes me prone to 'doing things to death' & losing track of time. Often you'll get to the end of the job and realise that in your hurry and/or fatigue you've forgotten something important.

Boot glass well on its way to being sorted, thanks. S/h tailgate located and friendly window fitter on board.

Worth a mention btw that my contact's got a wealth of Peugeot parts: mostly 505, some 504, quite a bit of 205 (std and GTi) and a fair bit of 405. Mi16 needs a good home and generous offers. Appears solid at a glance. Fabulous fella, he's a bit of a hoarder, as is the case with some of the very best parts sources, so not the most organised; but if there's something you need I'll do my best to encourage him to find it; specially the bigger stuff. I won't provide contact details coz he'd be inundated and wouldn't thank me for it.

Good point bout the alternator, will do; its the expensive variant too. I once had the misfortune to replace it twice in 6 weeks, just got unlucky with a s/h one.

I do loathe saying 'you're mistaken' to someone, as my social skills aren't 100% soi I do hope I've done so everso nicely.

Ah, you even put an arrow pointing it out, silly me. Hope the laser socket fits!

Bought a clarke one for about £60 4-5 years ago, it's saved my backside numerous times and made a few jobs possible that would have been impossible without it, think a comprehensive set of sockets for it are more than the gun itself.

Tea is certainly the hazy brain cure for the discerning shed occupier, a nice wee bit of fruitcake being my particular sweetmeat :).

Cheers for the offer on parts searching the Peugeot yard also. Always valuable to know the whereabouts of Aladdin's various caves !
Goc3k

Post by Goc3k »

elma wrote: I know who I'm inviting round next cambelt change...
A wee picture to point out which bit is tricky might remind me of how I went about it.

*shrug* :mrgreen: